• Whamburglar@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 days ago

AI absolutely has the potential to enable great things that people want, but that’s completely outweighed by the way companies are developing them just for profit and for eliminating jobs

Capitalism can ruin anything, but that doesn’t make the things it ruins intrinsically bad

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

AI absolutely has the potential to enable great things that people want

The current implementation of very large data sets obtained through web scrapping, very aggressive marketing of these services such that the results pollute existing online data sets, and the refusal to tag AI generated content as such in order to make filtering it out virtually impossible is not going to enable great things.

This is just spam with the dial turned up to 11.

Capitalism can ruin anything

There’s definitely an argument that privatization and profit motive have driven the enormous amounts of waste and digital filth being churned out at high speeds. But I might go farther and say there are very specific bad actors - people who are going above simply seeking to profiteer and genuinely have mega-maniacal delusions of AGI ruling the world - who are rushing this shit out in as clumsy and haphazard a manner as possible. We’ve also got people using AI as a culpability shield (Israel’s got Lavendar, I’m sure the US and China and a few other big military superpowers have their equivalents).

This isn’t just capitalism seeking ever-higher rents. Its delusional autocrats believing they can leverage sophisticated algorithms to dictate the life and death of billions of their peers.

These are ticking time bombs. They aren’t well regulated or particularly well-understood. They aren’t “intelligent”, either. Just exceptionally complex. That complexity is both what makes them beguiling and dangerous.

• utopiah@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

that doesn’t make the things it ruins intrinsically bad

Hmmm tricky, see for example https://thenewinquiry.com/super-position/ where capitalism is very good at transforming everything and anything, including culture in this example, to preserve itself while making more money for the few. It might not indeed change good things to bad once they already exist, but it can gradually change good things to new bad things while attempting to make them look like the good old ones it replaces.

• Debs@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

I used to be so excited about tech announcements. Like…I should be pumped for ai stuff. Now I immediately start thinking about how they are going to use the thing to turn a profit by screwing us over. Can they harvest data with it? Can they charge a subscription for that? I’m getting so jaded.

• Mac@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 days ago

this but tech in general.

on the modern internet
        when you search for knowledge or try to connect with others on social media or consume content as a form of escapism from this hellhole what do you get?
        you get fed ads, sponsored posts, scams, algorithmically curated content to optimize your engagement, and now also AI drivel that’s inaccurate and sometimes dangerous.

even off the internet you cannot escape it. there are cameras, microphones, and other sensors everywhere tracking your every movement to anticipate your thoughts and desires to try to sell you something or even manipulate the costs of what you’re already planning to buy to optimize profit.

i feel that the modern technological landscape is slowly driving me, a once tech supporter and enthusiast, toward some sort of neo-luddism to get away from it all.

and what’s it all boil down to?
        money.
        it’s always about the money.

• Lemminary@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

I was gonna say, of all the things to be upset about AI, not enabling things that I want isn’t one of them. I use it all the time and find it incredibly useful for boring tasks I don’t care about doing myself. Just today I had to write some repetitive unit tests and it saved me a bunch of time writing syntax so I could focus on the logic. It sounds like OOP either hasn’t used it much or doesn’t have a use for it.

• nilloc
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 days ago

I think the problem is that for consumers, it most often being used for generating spammy ad revenue sites with plagiarized rewritten content. Or the ads themselves in the case of image generation.

I’m glad it’s working for writing unit tests, though it would seem that better build/debug systems could be designed to eliminate repetitive coding like that by now. But I quit web dev about 5 years ago, and don’t intend to go back.