• More than 30,000 Boeing workers, members of the company’s biggest unionized group, were set to strike Friday after staff rejected a new labor contract and approved a strike with a 96% vote.
  • The work stoppage will halt production of most of the company’s aircraft, including its best-selling 737 Max.
  • The strike is another costly blow to the company trying to increase output and improve its reputation.
    • Funwayguy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 days ago

Maybe not suicide, but what if there was tragic (totally not suspicious) Boeing plane crash with many key union members on board. Then victim blame them for not having enough staff left to enforce safety or assist with crash investigations. Conspiracy!

/s?

• magnetosphere@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

The execs created this problem, wouldn’t let the engineers do their jobs correctly, and ran the company like a bunch of hedge fund managers. I’m all for the workers in this case. Boeing has no ground to stand on. I’m glad that 96% of employees realize that.

• Rentlar@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

Good. If these conditions were acceptable, the union rank-and-file would accept them. I would respect the union members’ choice whether they were to accept or reject this agreement.

When wages are at levels where McDonald’s can poach these workers, this offer definitely appears like a pittance. Try harder Boeing, and you got this, bargaining team.

• magnetosphere@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

You make a good point about respecting the choices of the workers. They know more about their situation than we ever could.

• SirDerpy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 days ago

How long until Biden orders them back to work to save the only domestic manufacturer of commercial airliners?

How long until a union continues a strike after they’ve lost the job protections of striking workers?

Maybe this one will fly. These specialized workers would take many years to replace. Bailouts don’t matter when there’s no one else qualified.

• unexposedhazard
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 days ago

They offered them a decent wage upgrade and they still said no, so you know the conditions are the issue not just the money. If i were forced to make death machines that keep falling apart, i wouldnt give a fuck about some little offer like that either.

• SirDerpy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

They asked for wages to be adjusted for inflation since the last wage increase. Boeing’s counter was half. They deserve much more than they ask for. I applaud them for demanding what they’re due.

• unexposedhazard
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 days ago

Yeah maybe my comment sounded kind of negative towards the workers. I just wanted to say that you cant solve all your problems with money and that they didnt/shouldnt allow the management to silence them with it.

• SirDerpy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            6 days ago

You’re correct that I didn’t fully process to the end of your comment above. After reading it again it’s obvious whom you support.

I just wanted to say that you cant solve all your problems with money

Everyone deserves security in water, food, clothing, shelter, sleep, healthcare, and education. They should have enough excess for “pursuit of happiness” as they individually define it. But, the vast majority of the products of their labor are stolen by vampiristic, dead capital.

You and I may have enough money and wisdom to have some security. Most do not. They face far more immediate and critical problems than we do.

We shall not judge. Enhance their wisdom if you’ve the means. But, trust them to decide what money they require to solve what problems they perceive.

• SirDerpy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 days ago

You’ve a different way of saying things that requires me to read your posts twice. And, I’ve made the same mistake twice by not processing to the end. I wanted you to know that I did come back and read it again, have realized what I’ve done wrong, and will do better in the future. Thank you for your tolerance.

• unexposedhazard
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 days ago

Understandable, i often have to reread things neutrally as well. Once we have some idea in our head of what someone thinks/intends to say all that comes after is prone to bias.

Conveying things by text in exactly the way you mean them is hard sometimes.

• WoahWoah@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 days ago

The contract vs losses from the strike is about ~1 billion to pay the desired contract or 1.5B to just literally do nothing. I imagine Boeing will either do the usual maneuver, which is let them strike for two months and then, when the workers are softened by the cost of the strike (especially with the cost of living in the northwest), make a minor concession and get something very similar to the original contract they offered.

Alternatively, they can pull the manufacturing plans for their newer models away from union shops and expand their non-union shops. It was the case already that non-union shops, specifically in North Carolina, were handling contracts for the newer models. They said they’d move some of those contracts to union shops in the PNW, but if they were feeling like it, they could just double down on the movement to non union shops and turn the strike into a lockout by management (a “reverse strike”), retain who decides to stay at a lesser contract, and just begin a long-term movement away from their PNW operations.

Basically, I’m unsure (but I’m actually not sure that’s not rhetorical) that the union has enough practical, concrete leverage to get what they want. Since boeing is already hemorrhaging cash, now may be the time for them to pivot on how and where they allocate their labor costs. I wish the strikers luck though, their demands seem reasonable to me.

• The Pantser@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 days ago

Well that won’t go well for the quality of their products. Good, Boeing needs to go, too many lives have been lost to profits.

• Mazoku@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 days ago

Why won’t it go well? It says it’s halting production, and once they get a good contract, morale would be higher which would probably result in better work being performed. Boeing needs to stay, considering how many commercial aircraft are Boeing aircraft, unless you want the air travel industry to collapse, and hundreds of thousands of workers be out of work. There just needs to be internal reform. I really hate the “burn everything” mentality Lemmings get when they don’t like something. Not everything is black and white

• Vox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

Not to mention how strategic of a company Boeing is to the US military complex. US government is 100% not going to let Boeing just fold. Not sure if Biden is going to bust the strike due to optics with the upcoming election, but I doubt the administration from either party is going to play nice with the union once the election is done, which is unfortunate and short sighted.

• 4am@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

Exactly. The problem is the executives and the corporate culture. You can’t just tear it down or nationalize it. Current material conditions prevent this rapid of transition.

Maybe it’s something to work towards, though.

• WoahWoah@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

It’s only about 17% of their workers going on strike. It’s an issue, but it’s not industry wide or gaining any solidarity strikes so far. It’s not even Boeing wide. Imagine if UAW or something began even publicly DISCUSSING a solidarity strike. Actually doing it would probably weaken their position right now, but talking about it might add necessary leverage for the boeing workers.