• RichardTickler@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

This is the first time I’ve seen anything SDR related on lemmy. Please tell me there’s a community for us somewhere here, that’s one of the few things I still miss from reddit.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

I might do a brief write up on setting up NTSC and PAL broadcasts if there’s any interest. It’s a neat little project to get some life out of an old CRT you might have lying around. Although I don’t believe the RTLSDR has enough bandwidth to fully cover a NTSC stream, but I have seen a write up where someone got it working with some compromises. I found a neat piece of software that uses ffmpeg and even has yt-dlp support and a GUI wrapper for it. I’m actually using it right now to play music videos, with a MTV logo and all. My understanding of antennas is…lackluster. It’s all over coax anyways to avoid any run-ins with the FCC.

• OneCardboardBox@lemmy.sdf.org
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 days ago

Actually, amateur TV broadcast was something that interested me. I had the opportunity to buy an SDR with wider bandwidth, but I wasn’t sure how much I’d get into it, so I kept things cheap.

Another thing I’m looking into is ADS-B flight tracking. My house is within range of a sports arena where there are all manner of overhead banners get flown. Might be fun to follow them around on a map.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 days ago

You should pickup a HackTV if you’re interested in SDR. Add on a portapack and you can scan ADS-B and a bunch of other stuff off internal battery power with no computer/tablet. And it has great driver and software support when you want to connect it to a computer. The only downside compared to more expensive radios like the kraken is that it’s half-duplex. But for how I use and for the price it that’s not a problem.

• nilclass
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Every frame will also have some handwritten info about the radio it was sent with, and possibly a photocopy of some dog in the corner