• SchmidtGenetics@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 days ago

Like I know this is real, but it still just looks like someone stuck a pineapple on a stem. This IS real… right…?

Asparagus is another one, just completely blew my expectations on how it grew.

• The Giant Korean@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Thanks! Yes, 7 years, lol. One of them produced a pineapple last year, so I’m going to see if I can get them to fruit again next year. I always thought pineapples were one-and-done, but I guess not!

• Brickhead92@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 hours ago

My first pineapple fruited about 18 months ago, and then grew 5 pups? Storks? I was expecting 2-3 from what I read so I was pretty excited.

I also planted 3 more between 9-12 months, so was hoping something would grow this summer (Australia) but might have to wait for next year. I haven’t seen any signs of fruiting yet.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 hours ago

Ah, pups! Weirdly mine haven’t made any yet. Hoping it makes some this year. I did root the top of the pineapple that I grew last year, though, so now I have 3.

• WolfdadCigarette@threads.net@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

Wait, really?? Looked it up to be certain and they seem not to normally produce multiple pineapples. Treasure that sucker, literally and metaphorically. You might have a million dollar plant on your hands!

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

I am wondering if maybe it split off a new pineapple plant? I started off with one and it divided itself into 3, so I repotted all of them. Anyway, point being, I know they can divide.

But also, maybe it’s because I’m forcing it to flower? After waiting 7 years with no luck I decided to use calcium carbide tablets which worked like a charm.

• IMALlama@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

How did you remove the pineapple last year? Cut the whole stalk off at the plant , right below the pineapple, something else?

• Convict45@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

They’re ripe when they turn yellow.

Got my first one this summer from a top I cut off a store bought pineapple maybe years ago. Home grown, from my single example, has a more subtle flavor with hints of vanilla and much less acid.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Yep. The first one I grew last year had all of those notes, too. I got it started late and had to keep it under a grow light and heat lamp. It was ready in January.

• stiephelando
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

The acidity in the store bought ones is due to them not being ripe. A ripe pineapple is very sweet with some faint tartness.

• dirthawker0@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

I’ve just started on this journey. After a few false starts that died, I finally got one to root well. The plant is about 8 months old now and looks pretty happy.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

Have fun on the journey! There are several ways to get it to flower if you don’t want to wait, but I’d recommend giving it at least 2 years so the plant can grow big and strong first.