• schnurrito
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 hours ago

when he said that software should be free as in freedom, because that would solve this problem

• raspberriesareyummy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      14 hours ago

While I don’t disagree with Stallman, how would that solve this problem? This is about a major video hosting platform having market shares and injecting ads into their streams / UI. I do not see - even if every line of youtube’s software sources were public - how that would solve the issue that the hosting platform can insert ads anywhere - honestly, as much as I hate ads, I can’t even blame youtube for doing something morally questionable - they are providing a service, they are not a public institution obligated to making information accessible.

• schnurrito
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        14 hours ago

that’s right: into their UI; with free software, you could use a different UI with no ads

• pathief@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 hours ago

Serious question: how can YouTube pay the bills with zero ads? I’m not talking about making a profit, just breaking even.

• raspberriesareyummy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          12 hours ago

which is basically what we do using ublock origin - and then they inject ads directly into the video stream, and a custom UI wouldn’t help.