• TheSlad@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 hours ago

This makes me wonder; why then would women typically have longer life-spans then men? Once women hit menopause they are biologically useless for propogating the species whereas men retain the ability impregnate women for their whole lives.

• gimsy@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

I think, that having purpose in life helps, and women tend to prioritize social connection from a very young age, therefore they are on average more connected and that helps in finding purpose. The rest is pure force of will to fulfill the purpose

• Schadrach@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

I feel like this is closer to the reason why suicide is the #2 cause of death for men from like 19-49. After that diseases start to overtake it a bit. Car accident is #1, in case you were curious.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

I saw something that mentioned having 2 X chromosomes is beneficial. Something about redundant copies of DNA which helps prevent some problems. I dunno, I’m not a scientist.

• theherk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 hours ago

There is more to evolutionary fitness than reproduction, though that is chief among the desired traits. The gathering / providing of supplies and wellbeing of the home are also up there.

Not to mention, wrt reproduction we need all the women we can get. We need only a few men. One male of a species can keep an arkload of women pregnant at a time.

• Shou@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

Can ask the same about men. Orcas have menopause. Female orcas live somewhere between 60 and 90 years. Male orcas only 30. Also… post menopausal orcas pimp out their sons. Imagine your mom as your wingman.

We live so long because we rely on experience. Menopause (and andropause) are just ways to make sure the parents don’t compete with their offspring, but stick around long enough to help.

Death and aging is needed to make animals stop reproducing. This is because the only way we can adapt to changing enviroments, is through having offspring with a mutation that is hopefully useful. Lots of algae, fungi, bacteria don’t have this issue. They can just transfer genes they developed/found to anither member of its species like it’s christmas. No need to die if you can just adapt your own genetics.

Menopause (and andropause to a lesser extent) is our copout and allows us to live longer.

• Trabic@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 hours ago

Grandparents are valuable, and women tend to be smaller and require fewer resources to provide wisdom and babysitting.

Source: the top of my head.