They aren’t necessarily silly, but these options were definitely quirky, especially LG Wing.

• DaGeek247@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 hours ago

waterfall displays

Finally someone agrees with me. I swear it felt like I was the only sane person around. The curved edges made no sense design, use, or otherwise.

I managed to mostly skip that BS by going with phones that didn’t use it, but I still had the occasional misstep whenever using someone else’s phone to check out their photo or whatever.

Frankly, I’m happy to see it become less mainstream.

• atocci@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 hours ago

I bought an LG Wing on eBay for cheap after LG left the phone business. The intent was to upgrade from my previous phone. I managed to tolerate it for only a week before crawling back to my old phone.

• fuckwit_mcbumcrumble@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 hours ago

Man I’m surprised Samsung didn’t dominate this list. My galaxy S4 was filled with so many garbage features that I never used.

Samsung and their garbageware was like 50% of the reason why I switched to iOS for my main phone.

• MicrowavedTea@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Wait there is a phone with a temperature sensor? That actually seems pretty useful. I’d love for phones to start adding more sensors you can access.

• duffer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 hours ago

There is no real silly, just how limited our imagination is.

I honestly thought cameras on phones were silly and I think the first gen camera phones were rubbish. Never did I know and maybe nobody knew that mobile web/web 2/social media would be as popular as it is and would probably suffer without them.

• jagermo@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

I have an LG wing somewhere. Cool phone, but really heavy and the second screen is not useful

• merde alors@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 hours ago

this too doesn’t sound that silly silly

We also had a year when Google decided that short-range radar was the future of interacting with your phone, so it crammed a Soli sensor into the top bezel of the Pixel 4 series. It was the culmination of five years of work and was designed to let you skip songs, silence phone calls, and snooze your alarms with nothing more than a lazy wave.

i tried this app for a while ☞ https://f-droid.org/packages/com.jarsilio.android.waveup but it didn’t work as well :/

• Albbi@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

I still have this built into the google nest I have. It was neat when my 1 year old toddler could pause music by thrusting a hand toward it, but it would often activate when just walking by so it’s disabled now.