Need to let loose a primal scream without collecting footnotes first? Have a sneer percolating in your system but not enough time/energy to make a whole post about it? Go forth and be mid: Welcome to the Stubsack, your first port of call for learning fresh Awful youā€™ll near-instantly regret.

Any awful.systems sub may be subsneered in this subthread, techtakes or no.

If your sneer seems higher quality than you thought, feel free to cutā€™nā€™paste it into its own post ā€” thereā€™s no quota for posting and the bar really isnā€™t that high.

The post Xitter web has spawned soo many ā€œesotericā€ right wing freaks, but thereā€™s no appropriate sneer-space for them. Iā€™m talking redscare-ish, reality challenged ā€œculture criticsā€ who write about everything but understand nothing. Iā€™m talking about reply-guys who make the same 6 tweets about the same 3 subjects. Theyā€™re inescapable at this point, yet I donā€™t see them mocked (as much as they should be)

Like, there was one dude a while back who insisted that women couldnā€™t be surgeons because they didnā€™t believe in the moon or in stars? I think each and every one of these guys is uniquely fucked up and if I canā€™t escape them, I would love to sneer at them.

Last weekā€™s thread

(Semi-obligatory thanks to @dgerard for starting this)

• self@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    2 days ago

correct me if Iā€™m reading this wrong ā€” the results are that LLMs are much, much worse than classical AI at planning block placement for SHRDLU? that seems pretty damning

• BigMuffin69@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

Yes, the classical algo achieves perfect accuracy and is way faster. There is also a table that shows the cost of running o1 is enormous. Like comically bad. Boil a small ocean bad. Weā€™ll just 10x the size and it will achieve 15 steps inshallah.

Imo, this is like the same behavior we see on math problems. More steps it takes, the higher the chance it just decoheres completely. I canā€™t see any reason why this type of thing would just ā€œclickā€ for the models if they are also unable to do multiplication.

I mean this just reeks of pure hopium from OAI and co that things will magykly work out. (But the newer model is clearly better^{tm}! I still donā€™t see any indication that one day that chart is just going to be 100s across the board.)

• froztbyte@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 days ago

ah yes, $42, definitely a ā€œthe same amount of compute is usedā€ figure

these results are remarkably damning. I knew things were bad, but god damn this is impressively shit

• imadabouzu@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 days ago

I feel this shouldnā€™t at all be surprising, and continues to point to Diverse Intelligence as more fundamental than any sort General Intelligence conceptually. Thereā€™s a huge difference between what something is in theory or in principal capable of, and the economics story of what that thing attends to naturally as per its energy story.

Broadly, even simple things are powerful precisely because of what they donā€™t bother trying to do until perturbed.

Ultimately, I hypothesize the reason why VCs like the idea of LLMs doing simple things far more expensively than otherwise is already possible, is because, They literally canā€™t imagine what else to spend their money on. They are vacuous consumers by design.

• o7___o7@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          edit-2
          1 day ago

So what youā€™re saying is that Tim Apple could save us from these people by selling Marc Andreessen a billion dollar iphone?

Itā€™s Veblen goods again, isnā€™t it?

• imadabouzu@awful.systems
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            Ā·
            1 day ago

Honestly, Yes. The hardest thing for a rich person to do is spend their money. Eventually this catches up with them: to spend no money is to lose it comparatively, to spend money is to risk not getting it back. So a great deal of the money world revolves primarily around persuasion, and the very odd things that happen along the way.

• froztbyte@awful.systems
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              Ā·
              1 day ago

It also helps to recognize how much many of these people see all of this as a competition, and trying to out-unique/out-possess their peers