• Flax@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    22 hours ago

I mean, Christianity is the largest religion and varying properties and various concepts of a Jesus has infiltrated basically every main religion apart from Judaism. Which is a pretty big nudge. Anytime God does show Himself, people come up with all sorts of excuses not to believe. You also need to realise while God is infinitely merciful, He’s also infinitely just.

A question for you would be: how would you balance that out? Being infinitely merciful and infinitely just?

• Zink@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 hours ago

I don’t consider “a dude might have existed 2000 years ago and built an enduring reputation” to be very compelling. Especially not while living in a world where everybody around me has instant access to the whole of human knowledge and yet so many stay disconnected from reality.

I mean if he wanted to, he could materialize in front of every single one of us like Doctor Manhattan to give us reassurance and a taste of being in the presence of his light. He knows what each of us needs in order to be brought into the faith. Yet, he presents us with a world indistinguishable from one where he doesn’t exist, and he has gifted us with these incredible conscious intelligent minds, and his main rule of existence is that we don’t use that intelligence to explore the world he’s given us and instead rely on some ancient translated and edited texts.

The infinitely merciful and infinitely just thing seems to me like a simple logical contradiction along the lines of asking whether God can create a stone so big that he himself cannot lift it. Isn’t the whole point of showing mercy that you let somebody off the hook instead of making them submit to what would otherwise be just?

• Flax@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 hours ago

If God were to act like a door-to-door salesman, when would he show up? “Oh, I haven’t believed yet because he hasn’t shown up yet”. He showed up once for all. You say He gives us a world indistinguishable from one where He doesn’t exist- but this doesn’t make sense either and isn’t even scientific. What do you think the difference in the world would be? Also again, the vast majority of people on earth have heard about Jesus. It’s hardly an obscure secret.

He gives us free will and respects our decision.

Mercy isn’t the opposite of justice. Unjust is when you let people get away with things. God has mercy on those who are truly repentant and trust in His sacrifice as their salvation.

Good works aren’t exceptional. To do good is what’s expected of us. So when we do something wrong, we can’t undo it. A good driver is someone who follows all of the rules. If you go through a red stoplight, you can’t make it up by stopping at three more. Our sin required the perfect and infinite sacrifice - which is God Himself.