• chuckleslord@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 hours ago

Doubt. The amount of cops who are either going to A give chase or B open fire regardless of the local laws is going to be far beyond statistically relevant. Maybe even a large plurality.

Never, never assume that a cop knows the law. Their job is to enforce, not to know. That’s the DA’s job.

• JohnAnthony@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 hour ago

I don’t usually go “in my country it’s different”, but that affirmation is absolutely wild to me.

Guessing this is US-centric, but you are saying if you recklessly drive away from an officer stopping you, they are likely to give chase and potentially open fire ?? What ?? Would the chase not be more dangerous than whatever you are being fined for ? Would them opening fire not make the whole (armed) country you are living in more likely to shoot back ? Are you guys playing cops & robbers IRL ? Sheriffs & bandits ? What is this about ?

Where I’m from the cop has already written your registration plate down, and possibly got your id. The last panel of this meme would be “well no one is stopping you, but it’s going to become a lot more expensive”. “Also I really don’t care enough to chase you or anything, my lunch break is in 20 minutes”. “Btw I am not allowed to carry a weapon when handling traffic”.

Not saying there aren’t assholes that will waste your time with a more tedious procedure than necessary, but nobody is going to chase, and nobody is going to shoot…

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      19 hours ago

On stuff like whether they’re supposed to be chasing people over traffic infractions it’s very much their job and expected knowledge. If you want to have a talk about state sanctioned violence you don’t get to detour to rogue officers.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      18 hours ago

Well we can’t have the doubt without its two precursors. Thanks for being so complete.