• JackbyDev@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 hours ago

Yeah, that’s really all it is. It gets much more questionable and problematic when it’s things like people claiming to channel dead loved ones.

• grysbok@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 minutes ago

I talk to my dead dad in my dreams (nothing deep–I usually say “hey, aren’t you dead?” And he says “yep!” And then we discuss board games or dogs) and while it’s comforting for me to maintain that connection to my memory of him, I’d be so absolutely pissed if some stranger tried to horn in on and pollute my memory of my dad.

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

One of my wife’s former coworkers said she needed to stop looking into astrology, so I think some people definitely can get into it too much and worry too much about predictions, but on the whole I don’t think astrology (specifically) is problematic as a whole.

But it is interesting that it does cause some people to discriminate against others based on their birthdays lol.

• Soggy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 minutes ago

Even at its most harmless, astrology normalizes magical thinking and leaves the door open for more predatory things. Not that big a leap to alternative healing and psychics and other conmen persuading the naive away from legitimate help.

• hakase@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

Yup that’s exactly what pissed off Houdini so much that he ended his friendship with Arthur Conan Doyle.