link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It’s mostly bots, but so is Reddit. The real question is, how many of these are active participants and contributors who’ll generate content and start communities?

• setsneedtofeed@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve been posting like a madman. I hope to kickstart some activity. If this place looks halfway attractive on July 1st, it should bring in enough new posters from 3PA to make more communities self sustaining.

I had to leave behind a few communities that were small even on reddit, and hope to rebuild them better here.

• Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, having enough activity is the only way we can make this place a viable Reddit alternative. That, and good third-party apps for a better mobile experience than Reddit. That alone could give the platform a serious edge, especially since 3PA users were some of the most active people on Reddit.

• self_comprehensive@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I came here four days ago and I’ve been commenting and voting on everything I see. I haven’t made any new posts but I’ve been pretty active otherwise.

• Ketchup@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’m not a bot, I used to post on Reddit only occasionally, (I was more of a lurker) and I only accessed it through the Apollo app. I strongly believe in the concept of decentralized platforms, and Apollo made Reddit more user-friendly by streamlining the tools, and reducing the number of ads. I recently joined Lemmy a few days ago and I already feel a surge of energy from enthusiastic migrant users like myself. If I thought my increased involvement here would contribute to meaningful discussions within the community, I will try to be more engaged. I hope that the influx of reddit users, including myself, can provide the boost that Lemmy needed without overwhelming the ‘instances’ themselves.

• Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m not a bot

That’s exactly what a bot would say, a-ha!

But no seriously, I hope there’s enough of us here to make a meaningful difference; enough to give the internet a new ‘front page’.

• rylo@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think it will be similar to reddit, where a small percentage of people produce content while the majority lurk. I used to lurk a lot on reddit, but I hope to change that here (I feel it’s important to be active to help drive activity).

• Bazoogle@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s going to be any platform, really. I feel like there might be more content posters here literally for the reason of boosting it and hopefully having a competitor on equal grounds to reddit. Right now, reddit is still winning in content and features, but it obviously has been around for longer and has a massive user base. It will take time, but with enough motivation provided by the despise of spez, it’s possible. I don’t think it will take down reddit, but it will make reddit no longer the only option.

• seafootball@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

undefined> how many of these are active participants and contributors who’ll generate content and start communities?

count me in!

• Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Then let’s work together to make the Fediverse an actual thing, and take back control from spez and his ilk!