• Iran is helping the Houthis try to secure Russian anti-ship missiles, Reuters reported.
  • These could improve their attacks on ships in the Red Sea and threaten US warships, an expert said.
  • Two officials said Houthis met Russians twice in Tehran this year, and more meetings are coming.

Iran is helping the Houthi rebels try to secure Russian anti-ship missiles, Reuters reported, citing three Western and regional sources.

Two regional officials aware of the talks said the Houthis and Russians have met at least twice this year in Tehran, where discussions to supply the missiles were underway.

They added that more meetings are expected in the coming weeks.

Non-paywall link

• Saleh@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Imagine if instead of supporting Israel with more and more weapons, the US and its allies had imposed an arms embargo and trade embargo for everything but food and medicine. We wouldn’t be in this situation, tens of thousands of people would still be alive, and the Houthis couldn’t claim more legitimacy and flex their geopolitical location like this.

• kent_eh@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    21 hours ago

Does Russia have any functional weapons that they can spare at the moment?

• Krono@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Good.

Iran and the Houthis are doing what every ethical nation should be doing: enforcing a trade embargo on Israel for the crime of genocide.

• PugJesus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

Yeah, you go Houthis, sink that oil tanker owned by Singapore, with a destination of Egypt, in your own waters to create an environmental catastrophe! That will really show Israel!

• MisterScruffy@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

If it stops goods from getting to Israel then it’s a successful blockade, which does hurt Israel

• PugJesus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          22 hours ago

Oh, good, and the other 90% of ships they’ve attacked?

Acceptable collateral damage. I guess it’s okay to have worse ratios of targets-to-nontargets than the fucking Israelis if you say all the right anti-imperialist words.

• Anyolduser@lemmynsfw.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            21 hours ago

Wait, everyone on this site has told me that even a single casualty due to collateral damage is genocide!

• slaacaa@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              20 hours ago

Somehow that only applies if the Jews are doing. I’m sure there is a word for that…

• MisterScruffy@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            20 hours ago

I don’t think anyone on those tankers deserved to die but I also know that the hundreds of thousands killed in Gaza (and the West Bank) didn’t deserve to die. Yemen is putting up a blockade and saying we will keep doing this until the genocide stops. It might be ugly but its a good cause and theyre the only country taking a stand. I applaud that. No shipping from anywhere to anywhere should go through the gulf of aden until the mass slaughter ends

• Krono@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

If any tanker tried to defy US sanctions on Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea, or Russia it would be sunk the same way.

• PugJesus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 day ago

If any tanker tried to defy US sanctions on Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea, or Russia it would be sunk the same way.

Do you know what sanctions are?

Do you realize that there are countless tankers going to ALL of those countries, at this very moment, and have been for decades?

• Krono@lemmy.today
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 day ago

Yes none of the current sanctions regimes constitute a complete embargo. That does not change the underlying logic that they are enforced by violence.

• rbesfe@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              24 hours ago

Can you give an example of a time when any of those sanctions was enforced by violence?

• Krono@lemmy.today
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                24 hours ago

Whenever someone is convicted of criminal export and trade sanction violations they are subject to 20 years in prison.

• PugJesus@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 day ago

Yes none of the current sanctions regimes constitute a complete embargo. That does not change the underlying logic that they are enforced by violence.

… so you don’t know what sanctions are. Or, for that matter, an embargo.

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 day ago

I honestly think it would be boarded and detained.

I’m not claiming the US is comparatively virtuous, I just don’t think they’d sink trade ships. Warships? Yeah.

• RangerJosie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Oh no.

Holy shit guys.

An international power might leverage a proxy war to use cutting edge weapons against an enemy nation that they otherwise wouldn’t be able to.

Does that strike anyone else as a familiar refrain?

• Count042@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 day ago

The enemy nation of shipping going to a nation committing genocide.

Ansarallah, like Hezbollah, has made it clear that their blockade stops with the genocide. (EDIT: to be clear, Hezbollah had said they’d stop their support front. They’re not engaging in a blockade like Yemen.) When there was a ceasefire with prisoner exchange they both stopped. (Their respective actions.)

Leaving that bit out explicitly shows your bias.

• PugJesus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 day ago

The enemy nation of shipping going to a nation committing genocide.

Except for all those ships they’ve attacked that aren’t going to Israel, or controlled by Israel, or even have anything vaguely to do with Israel and her allies.

But sure, keep simping for attacking civilians because THESE ones are on YOUR side, right? “Our heroic killers vs. their dastardly murderers”

• MisterScruffy@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 day ago

Except for all those ships they’ve attacked that aren’t going to Israel, or controlled by Israel, or even have anything vaguely to do with Israel and her allies.

Source? I thought they were only attacking ships that dock in/ship to Israel?

Also, have they killed/indefinitely detained anyone? Or just cause property damage?

• Count042@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 day ago

I’m not simping for them. They’re not on MY side. They’re doing what they can to stop an actual ongoing genocide, which I give them credit for. But, I’m guessing that you would accuse FDR of simping for the Soviet Union.

Frankly, I think that after the US and Saudi Arabia tried for years to starve Yemen that they deserve to be left the fuck alone.

Also, Ansarallah have demonstrably lied less than the people saying that the ships they attack weren’t associated with Israel.

It’s interesting that you would accuse people who have the standard of “I give more credence to sources that have demonstrably lied less” as simping. It makes it absolutely clear that you care more about propaganda then you do about the truth.

• PugJesus@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 day ago

They’re doing what they can to stop an actual ongoing genocide, which I give them credit for.

“They’re attacking civilians at random, this will really contribute to stopping a genocide!”

What are you, a fucking Zionist with that kind of logic?

• Count042@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                22 hours ago

And why do you believe that they’re attacking civilians at random instead of ships that match the specifications they’ve given for their blockade?

EDIT: And no, I disagree with your assertion they are attacking civilians at random.

The fact that you intentionally misread my disagreement at that to pithily call me a Zionist is just bad rhetoric designed to appeal to people that already agree with you. Good job defending genocide. (See what I did there?)

EDIT 2: The two actions that have done the most harm against Israel is Hezbollah’s support front that targeted Israel’s sensors for Iron dome that displaced up to 100,000 Israeli’s in the north, And Yemens blockade that has incredibly damaged Israels economy to almost the breaking point and bankrupted the Eilat port.

You’re not against the genocide, you’re just against anything that is effective against it. I hope you get help.

You also still haven’t sourced the “Attacking civilians” claim that you seem to want to use to attack me personally.

Also, what do you think the US would do to a civilian ship in international waters that the US believes is carrying Iranian Oil? What do you think they’d do if the cargo ship ignored the USN in international waters and refused to allow boarding operations?

EDIT 3: Do you think the blockade of merchant ships in the US Civil War was ineffective? Do you think that the USN firing upon civilian merchant ships trying to take cotton to the UK was morally wrong?

• PugJesus@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  22 hours ago

And why do you believe that they’re attacking civilians at random instead of ships that match the specifications they’ve given for their blockade?

Because the ships attacked don’t match the specifications they’ve given. Jesus Christ.

The fact that you intentionally misread my disagreement at that to pithily call me a Zionist is just bad rhetoric designed to appeal to people that already agree with you. Good job defending genocide. (See what I did there?)

I’m sorry that you think “doing what they can” to stop an ongoing genocide by attacking civilians, which is what they’re doing even if they were ALL Israeli ships, is contributing to stopping a genocide. I hope you get help.

• RangerJosie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

Absolutely.

But I was thinking more recent history. Like how the US is supplying advanced weaponry to Ukraine.

Pointing out such hypocrisy is my favorite passtime nowadays. And whether it’s here, reddit. Twitter, etc. It always gets me downvotes. Kinda disappointing that so many people are still blinded by nationalism.

• nondescripthandle@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 day ago

I feel you. I have that autism where I tend to jump in convos to correct facts and people take it as the biggest insult and assume it means I think exactly the opposite of everything they say. I’ve found it’s easier for me to just lean into it since it’s going to happen regardless, I may as well be the one dictating the terms.

• Count042@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 day ago

Israel. Which is clear if you’ve read even one of their announcements of the blockade.

And calling the leadership of Yemen Houthis is like calling any US person a Kennedy.

• jimbolauski@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 day ago

What does attacking cargo ships, flagged from Barbados, crewed by Filipinos, owned in Liberia, operated out of Greece, originating from China, and destined to Jeddah and Aqaba have to do with Israel?

• jimbolauski@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  23 hours ago

As in goods going to Jeddah would ultimately get shipped to Iseral? I have no idea if Saudi Arabia is being used as a pass through.

• Count042@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                1 day ago

‘Owned in Liberia’

I like how you stuck that in the middle. Just trying to sneak it in a bunch of other stuff that is unquestionable.

You know that that isn’t clever, right?

It’s obvious what you are doing, and why.

I guess I shouldn’t expect better from someone using the racist term ‘Houthis’ for the government of Yemen.

• jimbolauski@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 day ago

Owned in Liberia’

I like how you stuck that in the middle. Just trying to sneak it in a bunch of other stuff that is unquestionable.

What’s wrong with owning a ship in Liberia?

It’s obvious what you are doing, and why.

Gave an example where the Houthis attacked and killed people on a ship that had nothing to do with Israel.

I guess I shouldn’t expect better from someone using the racist term ‘Houthis’ for the government of Yemen.

When you cry racism about every thing is loses meaning.

• Media Bias Fact Checker@lemmy.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago
    Business Insider - News Source Context (Click to view Full Report)

Information for Business Insider:

MBFC: Left-Center - Credibility: High - Factual Reporting: Mostly Factual - United States of America
    Wikipedia about this source

Reuters - News Source Context (Click to view Full Report)

Information for Reuters:

MBFC: Least Biased - Credibility: High - Factual Reporting: Very High - United Kingdom
    Wikipedia about this source

Search topics on Ground.News

https://www.businessinsider.com/iran-helping-houthis-try-secure-russia-ship-missiles-red-sea-2024-9
    https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iran-brokering-talks-send-advanced-russian-missiles-yemens-houthis-sources-say-2024-09-24/

Media Bias Fact Check | bot support