• BlueMagma@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    18 hours ago

I agree with that and I upvoted you, I don’t understand the downvote mentality, either you upvote or you don’t do anything, downvote should simply not exists.

• TheTetrapod@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 hours ago

I wholeheartedly disagree. Downvotes are my favorite part of this kind of comment system. I know that, per the rules, “downvotes aren’t for disagreement”, but most people don’t respect that and I think it’s asinine. Both kinds of votes are a valuable way of contributing to a discussion without having to spend the time and effort to write a comment.

• BlueMagma@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 hours ago

I agree with your sentiment, that’s what they should be, but time and time again we saw that it is not how they are used, downvotes mostly serve to mark disagreement , doesn’t matter that you provide interesting discussion, if people disagree then the comment gets downvotes to oblivion. And the platform turns into an echo chamber where only one opinion can ever exist.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 hours ago

Except for the fact that downvotes hide those comments. So all you are doing is creating an echo chamber where everyone agrees or gets removed from discourse.

• Serinus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      17 hours ago

Wasn’t me. But downvotes are great when used appropriately. We want shit that isn’t worth reading to get filtered to the bottom. A joke that isn’t worth reading. Off topic shit that isn’t a relevant tangent. Spam. Uncalled for rudeness.

But that shouldn’t mean every opinion that disagrees with your own.

Maybe downvotes should be limited. I don’t know that there’s a good technical way to fix this issue.