!chat@beehaw.org

https://beehaw.org/c/chat

Have a look, it’s quite good!

If you want to comment but your instance is defederated (e.g. Lemmyworld or sh.itjust.works), you might consider creating an alt on another instance.

I hope they’ll refederate sh.itjust.works soon.

• dingus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Ehh…I specifically joined casual conversation because lemmy.world users are banned there. I’d rather not make an alt to communicate with any Beehaw communities anymore if they are not interested in having users like us to begin with. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I see where they come from, to be honest. Due to the very high number of people on LW, you have more toxic users (even if it’s only 1% of the population who are toxic, as LW monthly active users is 19k Vs 1,7k on Beehaw, that’s 10 times more toxic users).

Selecting people based on their willingness to have an alt elsewhere seems to be the filter they chose.

I can also understand why they see centralisations of so many users on LW as a bad thing (I’m not the biggest fan of that either).

• dingus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I do get it to an extent. I think the most frustrating part about it for me was that Beehaw was like the second biggest instance for some time. I enjoyed participating in there for a while until they suddenly effectively “banned” me and tons of others from communicating there without any sort of warning or anything.

If they had always been defederated from us or if they had always been a smaller instance or if they had made some announcements or literally any sort of action before going nuclear, I wouldn’t have been as frustrated and soured by them.

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I see. Hopefully after a while you might give it another try, they are still nice!

• cubedsteaks@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

https://lemmy.today/post/542184?scrollToComments=true this post kind of makes it seem like they don’t want people who left Reddit for lemmy on there?

Maybe I’m wrong, like I hope I’m wrong? I was interested in joining communities like that have good amount of activity. I don’t mind being in smaller ones like this though as long as there’s like a few comments here and there.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

They general feeling is that some people who left Reddit are a bit toxic, and people on Beehaw are afraid that those people would bring the toxicity to their community.

Based on our interactions, you seem quite nice, so you should be fine.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Historically, it’s because when the large Reddit influx started, LW and sh.itjust.works didn’t ask for email verification, allowing a number of trolls and others to register there.

Beehaw saw an influx if users unaware of the heavy moderation in Beehaw, so they decided to defederate.

They were discussing refederation not so long ago in !support@beehaw.org

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Not really, just without LW and SJW. In a way, they are encouraging people to try smaller instances, that’s nice.

They should refederate SJW, but in the last thread about that, there was still a SJW user posting litteral picture of feces.

Not really helping their cause.