for those who don’t know:

snowflake is a project by TOR that allows people to access censored services. Anyone can run a snowflake proxy. I’m using their firefox extension. more details here: https://snowflake.torproject.org/

• Untitled_Pribor
    link
    fedilink
    809 months ago

0, since tor is blocked in my country. Thanks to everyone who’s running these btw, it’s really helpful

• @0v0@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      689 months ago

The snowflake proxy acts as a bridge to the tor network at the entry side. If by repercussions you mean risk of exit-node traffic, there are none. It might cost a little bit of bandwidth.

• Anomander
        link
        fedilink
        269 months ago

There’s the necessary info, thank you! - I’ve heard horror stories about hosting exit nodes, and was immediately spooked this would result in the same issues.

• ares35
        link
        fedilink
        169 months ago

so. basically alternative tor entry points you can run in your browser for those who can’t connect directly to the tor network themselves?

• @0v0@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          129 months ago

Indeed. This works because direct connections to the tor network are easily censored, but WebRTC is not (not without a lot of collateral damage at least).

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I’ve been doing it for quite a few months now, and I haven’t met any.

it’s basically a WebRTC connection between snowflake extension, and someone using tor. WebRTC is a common medium for peer-to-peer communication, so it can’t be blocked easily. Many popular services use WebRTC. e.g.: Matrix protocol, video conferencing services like jitisi meet, etc.

• key
    link
    fedilink
    English
    309 months ago

And here I thought Snowflake was just a slow but scalable database.

• @Cruxifux@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    129 months ago

I wasn’t aware my country had online censored services. Is there a way to see what Canada even has censored?

• @IverCoder@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        17 months ago

Is OONI probe really reliable? It’s saying that nothing’s blocked in my country even if we’re literally under authoritarian rule.

• Ooops
    link
    fedilink
    79 months ago

Rarely more than 3-4 per day nowadays, often not even 1. About a year ago it was easily in the double digits any given day.

• @Steamymoomilk@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    79 months ago

I didn’t know Firefox had a extension like that. I have Orbot set to when I’m on WiFi it opens a snowflake proxy. I have helped 29 people this week using orbot.

• @emhl@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    79 months ago

I run multiple snowflakes in a docker container. They each have an average of 8 connections per hour

• @mexicancartel@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      199 months ago

This has nothing to do with torrents. Tor is a browser as well as a service of 3-chain proxies(triple vpn so that none of the three servers have all necessary information to find you or what you’re accessing. Snowflake proxy is run locally and acts somewhat like a proxy running in your device helping others to access internet via you to circumvent censorship which happens kn their region and not in your region

• @_hovi_@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        19 months ago

I have almost no knowledge on this topic but if it’s just their request going through your computer, is that not how vpns work? Also what happens if they’re searching illegal topics in your region, like criminal stuff, I’d assume you could get in trouble for that?

link
          fedilink
          English
          29 months ago

I said “triple layered vpn” because its somewhat like a vpn. But triple layers means the other person is accessing the internet through your computer and also through other conputers as well so that you cannot compromise the anonymity of the user because you are only one in three nodes. If you are end node, you can get info about the sites they visit but no information about who they are(not even ip because only first node gets that). The first node can see who you are but does not know what sites you visit(only third node knows that) and second node does not know about both of theese but has the information to identify the two end nodes and also makes sure that first node does not know the last node.

• @_hovi_@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            19 months ago

Ok I see, so running this is basically like running a Tor node, with the same risks involved as well?

link
              fedilink
              English
              29 months ago

Snowflake is for places where the tor network itself is blocked. You can uncensored internet with tor but if tor is blocked, you have to use some bridges to connect to tor network. But bridges needs to be configured and people who host bridges have some expense to keep it online. Snowflake is a temporary bridge which anyone can enable anytime and stop anytime. People who tries to connect through snowflake can easily connect automatically to any active snowflake proxies and also find a new snowflake proxy when current one goes offline.

Here is the official note about it

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      English
      19 months ago

that’s a lot! do you by any chance host a termux mirror as well?

• @30p87@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Not yet, but it sounds interesting. I’ll look into it, thanks! Though considering my Pi4 is good enough for Snowflake, idk about hosting an actual mirror.