Earlier this year, Virgin Media announced it would make a change to its terms and conditions – from April 2024 it will introduce inflation-based price rises that mean the amount its customers pay for their broadband will increase every year.

But we’re concerned Virgin Media’s terms are an attempt by the firm to both have its cake and eat it. As well as applying aggressive inflation-linked annual mid-contract price rises, it’s also maintaining the right to hike bills further at any time.

That discretionary price rise clause has been part of Virgin Media contracts for some time, but the new terms also allow for annual price rises based on the retail price index (RPI) rate of inflation plus an additional 3.9% while removing the right for affected customers to cancel without paying substantial exit fees.

We believe these clauses amount to unfair contract terms and could be in breach of the Consumer Rights Act by creating a ‘significant imbalance’ between the rights Virgin Media has granted itself and those of its customers.

• dlok@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Looking forward to signing up for citifibre once we’re out of contract, we didn’t have virgin in our area when we moved here so we’ve been on traditional 74mb vdsl2.

• Oneobi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yah, I jumped ship recently to No One Broadband. Holy upload speed on 900mb is massively noticeable!

No One also don’t crank up prices mid contract. Been massively impressed with them.

• lennier@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I switched to an ISP with transparent pricing the instant Openreach fttp came to my area

Mid contract price rises and overcharging customers who don’t want, remember or know how to to play the game with virgin media retentions can get to fuck