• deus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 hours ago

Do I need a foldable phone? No. Do I like the idea of owning a phone that is actually small enough to be used with one hand and can fit anywhere? Yes. Besides, closing it to end a call is very cool.

• EngineerGaming@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

The ones I have seen in stores are still too long to be used with one hand or fit comfortably into a pocket. My Pixel 7a is about the biggest I can use one-handed, and even then there is awkwardness.

• idunnololz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 hours ago

I had to go crawling back to Samsung because the pixel 9 is too large (and heavy) for me. I was using a pixel 5 before my screen died earlier this year :(.

Edit: to clarify I’m not using a foldable phone, I just have their S24 which is apparently the smallest phone on the market I could find these days that isn’t out dated (Zenphone).

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 hours ago

I only bought a Pixel because of GrapheneOS, and the “a” series is at least slightly smaller (plus plastic back instead of glass, that’s something I am also happy about).

But yeah, I feel you :( I am not even small, I have average hands!

• lurch (he/him)@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 hours ago

Most Androids have a one-handed mode, where it shrinks the display into a corner, so you can reach everything with your thumb.

• yogurtwrong@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 hours ago

I love big phones though. Smaller ones feel too claustrophobic to me

Also, from a usabity point of view, bigger screens are better for watching videos in landscape, editing text and it’s easier to use the gestures and the keyboard (I don’t even have fat fingers). I think only downside is ring and pinky fingers hurting after a while because of the weight

• nilloc
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 hours ago

Yeah, iPhones have similar modes, swipe down and the screen scrolls down you can also swipe the keyboard to either side for better access too.

I hardly ever do that though, except by accident.

• cm0002@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 hours ago

Those are probably the Samshits and I too avoided them because they’re too damn long (And their user hostility lol), the Pixel 9 Pro Fold is what you want, folded it’s almost as big as the 7as screen (6.3 to 6.1 on the 7a)

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 hours ago

First - 6.3 usually means already over the edge of comfortable, 7a is already almost too much. Second - thickness adds to it when it’s in your hand. And third - why would I spend huge money (doesn’t seem like it would decrease in price with generations as much as a normal phone, it might be EOL when it becomes affordable) on something that breaks more easily and is still bigger?

• cm0002@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 hours ago

I don’t personally feel much of a difference in .2 inches of screen, but if 6.1 is your absolute limit, then the Pixel Fold 1 might be your perfect fit with a 5.8 “short and stocky” outer screen

Though I don’t think it’s being sold new anymore, but it looks like eBay has some good condition/refurb models going for ~<800-1k, Google has stated all Pixels will get 6 or 7 years of updates.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 hours ago

Sure, you can buy one to never unfold. But you’d be getting a thick, expensive AF phone for no reason, lol

• cm0002@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 hours ago

? I don’t understand your comment, was it meant for a reply for a different comment?

• Keith@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 hours ago

The implication is that when closed you can use them one handed