Sounds like Meta wants to force you to give them your phone number.

• BlackEco@lemmy.blackeco.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I wonder if they will ever implement ActivityPub and federate. I know, there’s fear of “Embrace, Extend and Extinguish”, but still, that would allow privacy-minded people to follow Threads users without giving them such data by using Mastodon, CalcKey and other micro-blogging apps.

• ryan@the.coolest.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

They absolutely will. The EU’s Digital Markets Act requires interoperability between social messaging services. ActivityPub is an easy way to comply because they are “technically” interoperable but can still choose to only federate with instances that abide by their rules.

• Tibert@compuverse.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I don’t know if that loophole may work. But if it does, it may work only for a time until a consumer association escalates that to the European court of justice.

• umami_wasabi@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Did thye define how to achive interoperability? They can make a ActivityPub clone to call it interoperable but no one else use it.

• Pantherina@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Yayy, fuck up your instance and use it for a damn Meta proxy.

I hope if they try that the instances simply defederate. And I like Federation and want more people on here, and I miss the variety of non tech content. But still, no thanks

People actively choosing a new network by Meta are just too stupid to be worth breaking our ecosystem, period.

• mrbubblesort@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Why? There is a long history of legal battles, academic studies, reports, news articles, and everything else detailing how Facebook, Instagram, and Meta are simply rotten all the way through. It’s a concerted effort by them going back years. Anyone signing up for a new service by them either isn’t paying attention, or is ok with self harm.

• Pantherina@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I know it sounds like that. But you may keep contacts, but this only makes sense if they also use the same new app. There is so little reason to use it

• no political groups, NGOs, Politics or damn restaurants using this “Web 2.0” instead of having their own Website