Israel’s foreign minister announced Wednesday that U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres has been declared “persona non grata” and barred from entering Israel.

Foreign Minister Israel Katz accused Guterres of bias, citing his failure to condemn Iran’s recent attack on Israel.

“Anyone who cannot unequivocally condemn Iran’s heinous attack on Israel does not deserve to step foot on Israeli soil.”

“This is an Israel-hating Secretary-General, who gives support to terrorists,” he said.

• unexposedhazard
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

Much logic. “Not condemning” = “Celebrating” apparently. If i see two drunk people beat each other up, then im not gonna publicly condemn either of them, but that doesnt mean i think that either of them are doing something good. If he had to condemn every attack from both sides all the time, he wouldnt be able to work at all. Maybe thats the goal here. Preventing the UN from doing its job.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

Iran also only targeted military sites yesterday, which is completely in line with international law. As long as they don’t target population centers there’s no reason to condemn it.

• Potatisen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

I’m pretty sure this whole thing is made as a way to discredit organisations, UN or otherwise, who are even slightly against the mess going on over there.

• AstridWipenaugh@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

Yep, it’s the classic “if you’re not with us, you’re against us” stance meant to threaten everyone into being complicit in your atrocities.

• Prasoon@freefree.ps
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

@unexposedhazard

I’m sure you have the best of intentions but, the way you put it, seems like the “all lives matter”, “men’s rights” rhetoric. There’s just one genocidal actor in the region, anyone acting to contain it (including non-state actors) is doing the world a huge favour.

@Linkerbaan

• Anas@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 hours ago

A military attack on military targets with no civilian casualties (from the attack itself), why does that need condemnation?