I don’t spend much time on my desktop computer but if I do I tend to game a bit. OW II, CS, Helldivers, Tabletop Simulator mostly. And of course need Discord.

I am considering a minor upgrade to the hardware and would need a fresh install (currently Win 10). I’ve been out of the distro game for a while and currently only have one old thinkpad running Debian and an X1 Carbon gen7 I want to use for experimentating/ distro hopping.

I want a daily driver OS that can play games. I also edit photos and might to the odd “flash a CFW to an old phone” or similar light tasks. Where do I start?

I hear PopOS because “it just works” but also CachyOS because “performance, muh”.

I have experience with Ubuntu (first was 6.06) and Fedora mostly but have played around with a lot that came with at least a barebones UI (crunchbang anyone?). My life has changed so I have less time to nerd out with this than I used to. But I feel the itch to experiment now and maybe use Linux on my main desktop again after some years with that mentioned upgrade soon.

• FergleFFergleson@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

I’ve been using Mint as my daily driver and gaming PC for years. Very happy with it.

If you’re really on the fence, and you’re building a new system, you might just want to “distro hop” for the first week or so. It’s a little work and a bit disruptive, as you’ll be re-installing the OS every few days. But just like a car, there’s nothing like actually driving it to get a feel for how much you’ll like it.