I acquired this older Black & Decker Hedge trimmer and it seems to have a special kind of cord. Any idea where I could find this cord or what its called? I have not been able to even figure out what the cord looks like yet.

• disguy_ovahea@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 hours ago

I had one of those for years. A standard, outdoor rated extension cord will plug right into the back of that trimmer. Bring it with you to the hardware store to make sure the female plug fits into the recess.

• ikidd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

Any extension cord without a grounding lug would work. Take it to the store and try them out until you find one that fits.

I had this exact trimmer, I would use a piece of twine to tie the cord to the trimmer so I didn’t lose it constantly; those lock tabs don’t work very well, or maybe it was just the cord I had.

• eRac@lemmings.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 hours ago

Isn’t that just a normal North America plug? Most lawn equipment was set up to use standard extension cords so that cables didn’t have to be unique.

• bluGill@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

No, it is just different enough that a regular socket won’tly fit. It is close enough that the special cord can be used for other things.

• kjpctech@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

A regular extension cord doesn’t fit so far but I’ll check out the store and see the other options. Thanks.

• ShepherdPie@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 hours ago

Does it look like the prongs have dropped into the case further than they’re supposed to be? My old trimmer was very similar but the prongs stuck out quite a bit more so that you could use any regular old extension cord on it. I’d try gently pulling on the prongs to see if you can get them out of that recess in the plastic. People are suggesting using an ungrounded cord but I don’t think they’re very common or easy to find.

• kjpctech@lemm.eeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 hours ago

I tried to pull them out but they don’t seem to move. I’ll try harder if I can’t find a cord. Thanks!

• ShepherdPie@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 hours ago

I wouldn’t pull too hard as it might just be a proprietary slot like the other user said. The plastic around the plug looks like it could be easily ground off with a dremel tool and allow you to use a normal extension cord.

• gamermanh@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 hours ago

Looking at it I’ll tell ya right now that’s a proprietary slot right over that plug

Dremel it out and any normal cord will work, that’s anti-consumer bullshit

• Please_Do_Not@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

It’s a normal plug and a standard extension cord should fit even though it looks weird (I have the same trimmer and many tools with similar plugs in my garage right now haha). The plastic around the female side on the extension cord just can’t be too large or weirdly shaped so that it’ll fit in the gap, but otherwise should be good.

• kjpctech@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

Okay I’ll have to check out the store. All of my extension cords are too big to fit in there. Thought there was going to be some proprietary thing. Thanks!

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

Nothing proprietary. It’s just not easy to find a cord that doesn’t have the big bump that will be in your way for a ground.

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Looks like it’s just for an extension cord. They probably make a fancy proprietary Black & Decker one for this but any regular cord that will fit should work fine

• Soup@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 hours ago

Looking at it more I think they did it that way so when you put a regular cord in the plug is protected and the extra spaces on top and bottom are the get your fingers in to unplug it.

• Placid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Use an extension cord rated for outdoor use. You can find them at any hardware store and they come in various lengths from 25’ to 100’ usually.

• Xaphanos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

It looks like there is a lever that will spread open for access to the plug. ?Squeeze or twist? Those tabs might slide out of the way and then grip the cord once it’s connected.

• Cagi@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 hours ago

I did a Google search for “power tool extension cord” and got some results that look like they’re made to fit the plug on your tool, like it’s a standardized shape.

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 hours ago

Looks like it’s shaped for an un-grounded electrical cord. Which is not something I’d want to use with a hedge trimmer.

• Destide@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 hours ago

Ok thanks for clearing it up nationality wasn’t mentioned? You could find the equivalent for US I imagine. I was confused -1 for trying to help good stuff 🤣