• areyouevenreal@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 hours ago

Aside from global warming the world as a whole has been steadily improving. I think you are confusing the USA with the rest of the world. Empires collapse, it happens, that doesn’t mean the whole world is on fire.

• ClassifiedPancake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 hours ago

You would be surprised how other countries (including your favorite role model European ones) are fucking themselves up right now.

• areyouevenreal@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

I live in Europe, in a country that still has its problems. The truth is though it’s not just us. There are less deaths from war and less poverty throughout the world in general if you actually look at the statistics. This is despite all the bad things you see in the news. The modern news and internet make people more aware of the bad in the world, when the truth is things are actually getting better overall.

• Gloomy@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      14 hours ago

Aside from global warming

I get what you are saying. But that improvement has been possible only because of global warming. Today we have more energy (=workforce) at our hands than ever before. This has imported things, but it’s living on bored time Global warming will start to deteriate our world in multiple ways, I fact it is doing so right now.

A collapse of this system build on sand is a very real possibility. And it is a very real possibility that it will take less than a generation to happen.

• Delta_V@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

You’re not wrong, but that’s just growing pains that every technologically capable species goes through. Like every other kind of alien, we have less than 1,000 years to figure out how to move our industry and other energy use and generation off-world before we cook ourselves.

• Rekorse@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

The only thing collapsing is nations that value money more than anything. They don’t fit into the current world, and certainly not in the future.

If you are so tied to the notion that your worth is based on your wealth, I’m sure you would feel despair.

• Rekorse@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

The barbarians weren’t any different than the romans. Same thing as Americans calling groups terrorists so we can kill them.

• Cypher@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 hours ago

The Romans would have nuked themselves first with how many times they overthrew themselves.