I found this a lovely little series, ostensibly meant for young Czech readers, but rather Grimm at times (as you can see).

(page 2)

I’m guessing the series was published in the ~1970’s. Happily for English-speakers, it was recently translated by one “Tomalakis.” Here are 13 mini-chapters you can read:

----> https://imgur.com/t/pochal <----

Artist Jiří Kalousek worked effectively in a variety of styles, and passed away in 1986. Samples here:

https://www.google.com/search?q="jiri+kalousek"+artist&udm=2

• Nacktmull@lemm.eeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 days ago

Oh no! The cute drawing style did not at all prepare me for that bloody plot twist! 0_0

• Faresh@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 days ago

It’s incomprehensible how Imgur forces you to enable javascript in order to see their images.

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.eeOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 days ago

Sorry about that. Some of the images I post are too big for most Lemmy instances to host, and frankly, I’d rather not put that burden on them anyway.

I did some testing just now, and if it helps, you only need to have Cloudfront and Imgur’s native suite of JS’s enabled. All others can be safely blocked, which has the nice side-benefit of blocking all ads and whatever other spam. (I use uMatrix extension)

And TBF-- most significant sites require JS to be enabled, but with a selective script-blocker, you can cut out ~90% of the noise.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 days ago

Ah, sweet. I see it also works for galleries, too.

Couple things with that, tho: 1) the images are surprisingly tiny on that page, so it would be nice if they could at least ‘fit to width,’ 2) you can’t click on them to blow up, instead needing to right-click, opening image in new tab.

The reason I bring those nitpicks up is because often I share a range of pages in a single Imgur gallery in order to make it easier for others to read a sequential story.

• popcorp
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 days ago

Haha I remember these, the best one is where soldiers dress up as devils and eat “babies” made of dough to intimidate their enemies.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 days ago

Ah, I’ve even read some of those!

So cool to see comics devoted to different cultures’ backstories, even if they don’t sell like Superman, Avengers, etc.