• djsoren19@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

I love how we’ve managed to come full circle. In the early 1900s buying votes was open and totally normalized.

Obviously it’s fucked that Musk started this, and while it’s pretty rad to see CAH surpass his dumb ass, this isn’t going to be the end of it. This is just the genie getting loose.

• Schadrach@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 hours ago

I love how we’ve managed to come full circle. In the early 1900s buying votes was open and totally normalized.

Literally one of the reasons we switched to a secret ballot (it’s less effective to buy votes if you can’t know who they voted for) in the first place. The first places to switch started in the 1890s, and the last state to switch over did so in 1950.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 days ago

It doesn’t say anything about voting voting Trump, just blindly saying you support the 1st and 2nd amendment. Like I will gladly and openly say I completely agree with that, but there’s not the slightest chance in hell I’m voting for Trump.

Cards Against Humanity however is very carefully threading the needle around committing election fraud. They’re paying you to make a plan to vote, but not based on whether or not you actually follow that plan and vote. The latter is very explicitly turnout buying, what CAH is doing is possibly just far enough away to be legal. I’d be shocked if no one uses them over it though as close as it is.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 days ago

CAH is also clearly saying “what we are doing is fucked up and shouldn’t be legal.” They are bringing attention to the fact that this shouldn’t be legal to encourage laws to be updated.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  19 hours ago

Yeah, but CAH is cutting it much closer than Musk. Bribing people to sign a petition that says you support basic constitutional rights you already have is a lot farther away from buying votes or buying turnout than what CAH is doing, which is walking as close to the line as they think they can get away with to show just how far out the line is.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    18 hours ago

Yes, they are showing where the line is, but I can’t think of a single credible argument for “What CAH is doing should be illegal but what Musk is doing is fine.”

• Thebeardedsinglemalt@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 days ago

just blindly saying you support the 1st and 2nd amendment. Like I will gladly and openly say I completely agree with

Which funny because they’re simultaneously phasing out parts off the first amendment.