I’d like to get one that has widely available filters and would prefer to spend less than $250 as much as I would like a Dyson one. It’s only for an apartment so I don’t think I need something massive but I do live above a busy road.

• Godort@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 hours ago

If looks dont matter, I’ll recommend the same thing I always do when people want an air purifier.

Look into making a Corsi Rosenthal Box. They’re surprisingly effective, and dirt cheap.

• lemmeout@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      20 hours ago

It’s not just about aesthetics. That DIY box will be loud as hell.

• asret@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 hours ago

As mentioned in the article these can be quieter than a retail unit. The large fans move a lot of air and the large filter area means it’s easier to pull that air through; both combined mean a lower fan speed is needed for a given throughput.

• lemmeout@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 hours ago

They can be. Because of course there are poorly made commercial units that are only quiet because they have low CADR. But you’ll never be able to get a DIY box as quiet as a well made unit, unless you basically engineer your own air purifier device, use blower motors, etc., but that’s not a Corsi-Rosenthal Box.

• TheMinions@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 hours ago

This looks really cost affordable and efficient, but I’m not sure my wife will go for the DIY aesthetic.

• T00l_shed@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 hours ago

Beat me to it. I’ve just been taping high quality filters to the back of my box fan, not as good, but helps in a pinch.

• ProdigalFrog@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      21 hours ago

Alternatively, a single Merv-13 filter that’s 4 or 5" in depth (20x20x5) taped to the box fan works just as well in a smaller footprint, and still allows you to direct the airflow at someone.