• Shou@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

While it’s the opposite situations in hospitals.

Torn uterus as a labour complication? Have some ibuprofen! Oh your husband has a stiff neck? He gets a prescription drug to handle the unimaginable pain.

Why use lidocaine on women during catherization? Surely the length of the urethra is more important than the diameter!

A study found out that women were more likely to die than men in surgery, when operated on by a male surgeon. Female surgeons are a safer bet. Turns out you shouldn’t go into surgery when you are sick. And women weren’t taken seriously by male surgeons as much when mentioning not feeling too well.

• Sasha@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 days ago

Got me thinking again about how many people in medicine assume you’re lying all the time, is this projection? Are doctors constantly lying so they assume everyone else is? Why is it so hard to just believe people, jfc…

I’m so goddamn sick of having to fight a system that’s meant to support me…

• superkret@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 days ago

Why is it so hard to just believe people, jfc…

I’m not a doctor, I fix computer issues. But the people having the issues do lie all the fucking time, because they want to shift blame, get faster service, or simply hide the mistakes they made.
        I could imagine it’s similarly frustrating for doctors.

• Mycatiskai@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 days ago

Reminds me of ER doctors saying that somehow men always seem to fall onto all sorts of things when they sit down naked and those things get accidentally lodged up their asses.

• TheBrideWoreCrimson@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            3 days ago

Yeah, it would be so much better if everybody was just upfront about it during anamnesis:

How, do you think, did this contraption become lodged in your rectum?
            I put it up my ass.
            Why did you put it up there?
            It was an experiment.
            What was the purpose of this experiment?
            To find out what I can put up my ass.

• Sasha@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 days ago

Those situations really aren’t comparable…

You can’t justifiably refuse to treat people begging for help just because you’re jaded, that’s how you get people killed. Medical care is meant to involve empathetic support, not suspicion and accusations at every turn.

It’s fine to be on the look out for people lying, but you can’t assume everyone is the second you meet them, that’s literally the opposite of what a doctor is meant to do.

I’d be willing to bet you do more digging to find out what’s actually going on than many doctors do, who will just show you the door instead of taking you seriously.

• el_abuelo@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 days ago

I used to watch this documentary about an amazing doctor who was exactly as described but it was both comedic and effective. It did always seem that once they got to the truth, it was always lupus. Or was it never lupus? I forget.

• BottleOfAlkahest@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 days ago

Studies have found that Black people are prescribed less pain medication by medical staff than white patients too. So your best bet if you get sick is to try your hardest to be a white man, otherwise you might be fucked.

• TheFriar@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 days ago

Not that long ago, a shocking number of MED STUDENTS (close to 50%. No joke.) thought that people with black skin had fewer nerve endings/felt less pain.

FUCKIN MED STUDENTS.

• Flocklesscrow@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 days ago

Surely the solution is a massive increase in female doctors of color?

*and a concurrent forced retirement for the dinosaurs hiding behind hospital administration

• thesporkeffect@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 days ago

There is a distinct lack of empathy in medicine, at least partly due to for-profit hospitals running their staff ragged to save money.

There’s also the fact that all research and treatment is based around white male patients.

• Shou@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 days ago

This isn’t about empathy or just male testing. It’s lacking better judgement. Female surgeons don’t seem to have the problem of “higher death rate of patients of one gender.”

The painmedication discrimination isn’t just about “only male testing.” I mean you give morphine to people who flew through their windshield right? It’s not like they tested it on rats they flung at a wall first. Second, the lidocaine situation is just an example of ignoring patient’s pleas with no reason. The stuff is commonly used on female patients in other procedures. So why stop at that one specific procedure?