• cmeu@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 hours ago

I just need sudo and a package manager

The promise of the smart phone was a mini computer in your pocket. I think we got it, but then the vendor locked the user out of admin on their own bought and paid hardware 🤷‍♂️

• Derin@lemmy.beru.co
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 hours ago

Try Termux, it’s great.

While it doesn’t get you sudo, it does get you a package manager and a decent amount of programs.

I use it and rclone to sync my cell phone’s photos to a S3 bucket.

• Ace! _SL/S@ani.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 hours ago

You can totally use sudo if you’re rooted. Using su also allows you to acces your native shell instead of Termuxs

• Derin@lemmy.beru.co
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 hours ago

You’re totally right, but I wasn’t assuming they had a rooted phone.

Is there any difference between the native shell and Termux’s? I just installed fish and chsh’ed it to default: after syncing over all my dotfiles it looks and acts as expected.

• Ace! _SL/S@ani.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 hours ago

Is there any difference between the native shell and Termux’s? I just installed fish and chsh’ed it to default: after syncing over all my dotfiles it looks and acts as expected.

I did the same, but that’s not what I’m talking about.

I don’t know for sure, but if I hat to guess I’d say that Termux uses chroot to emulate a more Linuxy experience by changing your root to /data/data/com.termux/files/ with it’s own bin, etc, lib and so on directories

Using su you escape that chroot and start using your roms root directory at /

I might be totally wrong with this, but that should hopefully clarify the way it behaves

• Derin@lemmy.beru.co
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 hour ago

Aah, okay.

I don’t mind the chroot too much, especially as you can just use Termux’s termux-setup-storage script for accessing files.

But, yeah, I can see how one would want to use su for that!

• psud@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      18 hours ago

Last I looked you could pretty easily get root on many phones, just if you did you couldn’t use stuff that checks the device security

If you want to carry two phones you could use one for banks and 2 factor authentication, and have root on the other