• acockworkorange@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

What bothers me the most about that episode is that, for all of Tuvix’s plighting at everyone, not a single spoiled aboard that ship took his side.

I mean, really? Are we supposed to believe that no one thought he should live? Or that Janeway ran some kind of terror ship that nobody dared voice a contrarian opinion?

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Are we supposed to believe that no one thought he should live? Or that Janeway ran some kind of terror ship that nobody dared voice a contrarian opinion?

Ah, I see you’ve watched Voyager before.

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

The Doctor was massively against it.

Janeway was very “shut up ya dumb hologram! I’m indifferent about whether you should even have any rights at all, so don’t push it or you’re next” about it

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

It was more a Hippocratic oath thing than actual empathy, if my memory serves. Or at least I took that way. At any rate, an episode written to be divisive and with no clear answer, and only the program coded to “do no harm” is against terminating the patient? I doubt that very much.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

It could go either way. I wouldn’t be able to terminate a creature pleading for their life. But it bothers me that the whole crew was one-sided.