Need to let loose a primal scream without collecting footnotes first? Have a sneer percolating in your system but not enough time/energy to make a whole post about it? Go forth and be mid: Welcome to the Stubsack, your first port of call for learning fresh Awful you’ll near-instantly regret.

Any awful.systems sub may be subsneered in this subthread, techtakes or no.

If your sneer seems higher quality than you thought, feel free to cut’n’paste it into its own post — there’s no quota for posting and the bar really isn’t that high.

The post Xitter web has spawned soo many “esoteric” right wing freaks, but there’s no appropriate sneer-space for them. I’m talking redscare-ish, reality challenged “culture critics” who write about everything but understand nothing. I’m talking about reply-guys who make the same 6 tweets about the same 3 subjects. They’re inescapable at this point, yet I don’t see them mocked (as much as they should be)

Like, there was one dude a while back who insisted that women couldn’t be surgeons because they didn’t believe in the moon or in stars? I think each and every one of these guys is uniquely fucked up and if I can’t escape them, I would love to sneer at them.

Last week’s thread

(Semi-obligatory thanks to @dgerard for starting this)

• froztbyte@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 hours ago

saw this via a friend earlier, forgot to link. xcancel

socmed administrator for a conf rolls with liarsynth to “expand” a cropped image, and the autoplag machine shits out a more sex-coded image of the speaker

the mindset of “just make some shit to pass muster” obviously shines through in a lot of promptfans and promptfondlers, and while that’s fucked up I don’t want to get too stuck on that now. one of the things I’ve been mulling over for a while is pondering what a world (and digital landscape) with a richer capability for enthusiastic consent could look like. and by that I mean, not just more granular (a la apple photo/phonebook acl) than this current y/n bullshit where a platform makes a landgrab for a pile of shit, but something else entirely. “yeah, on my gamer profile you can make shitposts, but on academic stuff please keep it formal” expressed and traceable

even if just as a thought experiment (because of course there’s lots of funky practical problems, combined with the “humans just don’t really exist that way” effort-tax overhead that this may require), it might inform about some avenues of how to to go about some useful avenues on how to go about handling this extremely overt bullshit, and informing/shaping impending norms

(e: apologies for semi stream of thought, it’s late and i’m tired)