• EleventhHour@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

That depends on how old you are. As a kid, I grew up in Orlando, and I got to go to Disney and Universal all the time. Enough that I got tired of it.

But back then, in the 90s, people still acted like civilized human beings when they went to two amusement parks. I’m just very glad that I have no desire to go back, especially considering what awful nightmare it is.

1996, a day pass for a Florida resident at Disney was $25. At Universal it was $18. Today, add a zero to the end of that, and you’ve got some idea of the amount of money they expect you to spend there. Just on the ticket.

• 【J】【u】【s】【t】【Z】@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

The people and prices are insane. The behavior is one thing, but the sheer number of people crammed into these tiny spaces is so uncomfortable and unpleasant. I’m alllllll set with that.

Look, the endorphins and other neurotransmitters that come from floating through the air on that big swing or down the giant slide are the same whether you’re in Orlando or Oneida. Who needs all the other bullshit of Florida.

Maybe the one in California isn’t as unappealing. There, at least you’re in California and not Florida.

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 hours ago

The worst is Magic Kingdom during the night show. It gets stupidly packed. It’s the only time I’ve needed to move through a crowd but physically ran into them as if they were a wall. I had to get back to my family after using the bathroom but I basically had to beg people to make an opening. I think they thought I was trying to get a good spot without waiting.

• Had a laugh picturing this. You have to use a call to action to get people to help you get through. Get them to look at you and then look the way you’re going, and start tapping shoulders to help you through. “Coming through” “make a hole” “help me through please.” As you catch people’s attention, nod and gesture to direct their attention forward. It’s like surfing. You’ll catch waves. Helps to be male with a sobering voice I think.

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            15 hours ago

The closer to the front I got the less people were will to budge. I remember one guy saying “I don’t think there’s any room up there for you,” and I had to point to my family and be like “no dude, they’re right there waiting for me” lol.

• brygphilomena@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Growing up in southern California. Disneyland was common, and so common that I ended up working there. It’s changed a lot in the last twenty years.

I still go to Disneyland regularly, but it’s always because I know someone that can still get me and my family in. I’m fortunate that I haven’t paid to go to Disneyland in over 16 years, and I’ve been hundreds of times. Now, I typically get disappointed when I’m there. I’ve seen the parks go downhill and the prices go way, way up.

I’ve been to Sea World growing up, since it was a two hour drive. And Lego Land. And Six Flags.

It’s not the parks that are spoiled, it’s the flights and hotels that make these things wild trips for spoiled kids.

• state_electrician
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

When I check ticket prices for my family of five, the cheapest option at Disney World is 1700 Euro. That’s on the Disney website and does not include travel or lodging or food.

• vortic@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

At least? You thought a day pass to Disney World was at least $2,500 and maybe $25,000?

• stembolts@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 days ago

Adding to their perspective, as another kid who grew up in a poor family… why not? Rich families were always spending “insane” amounts (aka literally any amount) on food, vacations, extra cars…

$2,500 for a day trip? …sounds insane and unachievable, just like everything else in life. So, yeah, why wouldn’t it cost that much?

When you are poor, the cost of everything sounds insane.

• RogueBanana@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 days ago

It’s not 2.5k for the day trip, it’s just the ticket. And from what I heard, the actual expense will easily triple once you start spending for basic things inside like food and hotel.