Need to let loose a primal scream without collecting footnotes first? Have a sneer percolating in your system but not enough time/energy to make a whole post about it? Go forth and be mid: Welcome to the Stubsack, your first port of call for learning fresh Awful youā€™ll near-instantly regret.

Any awful.systems sub may be subsneered in this subthread, techtakes or no.

If your sneer seems higher quality than you thought, feel free to cutā€™nā€™paste it into its own post ā€” thereā€™s no quota for posting and the bar really isnā€™t that high.

The post Xitter web has spawned soo many ā€œesotericā€ right wing freaks, but thereā€™s no appropriate sneer-space for them. Iā€™m talking redscare-ish, reality challenged ā€œculture criticsā€ who write about everything but understand nothing. Iā€™m talking about reply-guys who make the same 6 tweets about the same 3 subjects. Theyā€™re inescapable at this point, yet I donā€™t see them mocked (as much as they should be)

Like, there was one dude a while back who insisted that women couldnā€™t be surgeons because they didnā€™t believe in the moon or in stars? I think each and every one of these guys is uniquely fucked up and if I canā€™t escape them, I would love to sneer at them.

Last weekā€™s thread

(Semi-obligatory thanks to @dgerard for starting this)

• corbin@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      13 hours ago

Itā€™s almost completely ineffective, sorry. Itā€™s certainly not as effective as exfiltrating weights via neighborly means.

On Glaze and Nightshade, my prior rant hasnā€™t yet been invalidated and thereā€™s no upcoming mathematics which tilt the scales in favor of anti-training techniques. In general, scrapers for training sets are now augmented with alignment models, which test inputs to see how well the tags line up; your example might be rejected as insufficiently normal-cat-like.

I think that ā€œforce-feedingā€ is probably not the right metaphor. At scale, more effort goes into cleaning and tagging than into scraping; most of that ā€œforcedā€ input is destined to be discarded or retagged.

• froztbyte@awful.systemsOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        11 hours ago

yeah this is the thing Iā€™ve been thinking a lot about

fucking reCaptcha is literally mass-weaponising users for data filtration, and there is no good counter besides just not using reCaptcha (which is something one canā€™t easily pull off without things like regulatory action, massive reputational problems that make people gtfo, etc)

I have similar worries about cloudflare being such a massive chokepoint and using that position to enable ā€œai bot filterā€ services. feels extremely monopolistic, but ianal and Iā€™m not entirely sure what the case grounds/structure on that would be (if any)

the only other viable strategy at the moment is fully breaking contact with any potential bad traffic systems, and thatā€™s extremely fucking dire because thatā€™s yet another nail in the coffin of the increasingly less open internet

• bitofhope@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          4 hours ago

The whole Cloudflare bot detection is so weird and eerie. Iā€™ve had issues where I canā€™t get past it presumably just because Iā€™m using some in-application browser just to get a login cookie, but other times it just lets fucking curl through no questions asked.

• Soyweiser@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      17 hours ago

I saw people say they would add 10% opaque layers of the musk with Epsteinā€™s accomplice (whos name i forgot for a second and too lazy to look her up) photo. Would be nice if there was a tool to do so automatically. (Not that i post on twitter anymore).

• swlabr@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        16 hours ago

tbh that sounds like a pretty easy script to write! Too bad I am not near a computer rn

• bitofhope@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          3 hours ago

I got nerd sniped into trying to resize felons_musk_and_maxwell.webp to the same size as some base image before compositing it on top with a 10% dissolve in the same magick invocation but I need to sleep so Iā€™m giving up for now.

• ShakingMyHead@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          15 hours ago

Wouldnā€™t really need a script, though. Just open up photoshop or GIMP and add a layer after everything is finished.

• Soyweiser@awful.systems
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            Ā·
            12 hours ago

But that doesnā€™t scale properly, you want ideally some sort of browser extension that just automatically does it for you before the data gets send to twitter.