The bottom of the article links to the history (individual features) of other IM programs from that era as well like ICQ and Yahoo Messenger.

• tias
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 hours ago

And then Jabber came to fix it by introducing an open protocol, and Google started supporting it, and all was well. But when everybody was using Google Chat they severed the Jabber compatibility, locking everyone in to their platform. Now we’re back wading around in enshittified shit and Jabber is dead.

• TarantulaFudge@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      53 minutes ago

Support matrix!! It already has international support, just needs to be a bit better with stickers and qol stuff. I’ve been using it for years. It’s nice to know I don’t have to worry about my privacy at all with chat rooms that can continue on without the original server.

• tias
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        36 minutes ago

It was promoted to me as a contender for Slack / IRC, not for the kind of direct messaging app that ICQ / MSN messenger was.

• curbstickle@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

I wouldn’t say jabber is dead, xmpp is still pretty well used. Not enough IMO, but still in use and with readily available modern servers. Jitsi is xmpp+jingle (sip signalling) after all.