• basmati@lemmus.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

Genuine question, why leave reddit when you agree in totality with the admins and general hive mind?

• kryptonianCodeMonkey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        19 hours ago

There’s a hive mind and you are the lone free thinker who sees the truth… as you spout the same lazy pessimistic 'they’re all the same" bullshit that pathological contrarians always fall back on. How edgy and big brained you are.

• basmati@lemmus.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          17 hours ago

I didn’t say they’re all the same. Democrats are right wing neoliberal representatives of corporate interests which run contrary to the long term survival of humanity; who Republicans are far right wing neoliberal representatives of corporate interests which run contrary to the long and short term survival of humanity but also are openly racist. Both openly outright support genocide ass so their voters.

There’s plenty of politicians that do not fall under these categories, in fact three of whom are currently running for president, two of whom have ballot access for 400+ electoral votes.

• kryptonianCodeMonkey@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            16 hours ago

Of course, two weeks to the election: “vote third party!” May as well be saying, “Throw away your votes and make sure that you have even less say in the outcome of this election than most people already have, and let the even smaller minority decide for you.”

Third parties should be valid choices, but they aren’t. Not in a First Past The Post voting system. They are never the sound choice when FPTP always leads to two diametrically opposed major parties. IIf you want third parties to be relevant and good choices beyond local elections, advocate for voting system reform, not for people to throw away their votes out of dissatisfaction with the status quo. For now, we live in reality, and we have to vote accordingly.

Edit: Also, way to say “I’m not saying they are the same. They are different… I’m just saying their differences are essentially negligible” pffft. Ok.

• Tarquinn2049@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                14 hours ago

Effectively and intently are different in this case. The margins are so close that “not voting for genocode” is voting for worse genocide. We don’t get a choice of not genocide.

• basmati@lemmus.org
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 hours ago

There is no such thing as worse genocide. Just because you’re proving that you would vote for Hitler, doesn’t mean you can shame or threaten the rest of us into voting for Hitler.

There is always a choice. Im not voting for genocide.

• DancingBear@midwest.social
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    2 hours ago

The whole idea of the genocide being worse under Trump makes me laugh in order to avoid crying.

People are really justifying Biden and Kamala’s support of genocide by arguing the genocide will be worse under Trump.

I don’t think they realize what they are saying.

• Tarquinn2049@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    3 hours ago

I know you’re probably just trolling, so it doesn’t matter what I say. But I’ll keep it up anyway, for the slim chance you are just a closed minded child that has been indoctrinated and isn’t actually thinking about anything they are saying, just reacting and spewing whatever comes to mind.

The real world isn’t about what you want to happen in an ideal world. It’s about what will actually happen as a result of your actions. There very much is worse genocide, genocide of more types of people at once, in more places at once, and to a worse scale for people already being genocided. Please don’t let Trump get what he wants.

Yes, of course everyone decent wants what you want… we’re not idiots. But we also can see that there is no path to it. And that trying to get it will just lead to losing the chance to have 90% of what we want instead.

There is no black and white choice in real life, which can be hard to accept for people stuck on black and white thinking(which is actually alot of people, like 10% or so). Trying to make decisions as though something must be perfect to be a good choice, is going to lead to having huge problems because this isn’t the only situation where trying to pick the perfect choice just leads to getting a way worse result. Usually, the consequences will come in the form of waiting and doing nothing because a perfect choice never presents itself. But sometimes people prey on a black and white mentality to falsely present a “perfect” choice, knowing some percentage of the population will have no choice but to fall for it.

Sometimes, third-party candidates are even funded by the other side in order to do this very thing for something as important as an election. So they very well know that it has an effect, if people like that are willing to actually spend money they could otherwise be hoarding.