link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

How do apple fan boys keeps eating this shit-sandwich year after year?

• dangblingus@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Most people are totally lost in a sea of capitalistic greed and wealth indicators. If you don’t keep up with the Joneses, are you really alive?

• macintosh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Samsung doesn’t support USB 3 on several of their higher priced phones, either.

• Comment105@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

They have convinced themselves it tastes better than a club sandwich.

It never had to make sense.

• theoc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

What % of mobile users plug their phones into a computer to move files on/off them? I’m not even an iPhone user (I have a Pixel 6 Pro) and it’s probably been 5+ years since I last moved files over USB on my phone.

• theoc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I’m guessing it saves them a few cents. I just don’t think most customers care so I can see why they’d want to save a little bit of money.

• CaptPretentious@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

That’s the same excuse used when they removed the headphone jack and forced you to use bluetooth. I owned many a cell phones and they all had headphone jacks and bluetooth and both worked just fine. But then the headphone jack was removed and now you had to dish out cash for over priced devices that have a limited lifespan (those batteries aren’t going to last forever).

I heard so many people say “well I never/rarely used the headphone jack” or “but I like bluetooth”. Fine, that’s nice, no reason to make it exclusive other than the company stands to make money off it. People gave up better audio quality and a plug that was more universal than the USB port… we’re not likely to get it back. No doubt Apple (because of course it’ll be Apple) will release a new proprietary cabled audio port that only works with their headphones.

Apple is anti-consumer.

• szczuroarturo@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I usualy agree with this but here is a thing USB 2.0 is really not that slow. I higly doubt you need faster data transfers on a phone.

• theoc@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

The best argument I can see for faster than USB 2.0 speeds is YouTubers that shoot 4k video on iPhones and then need to edit the video. That’s a very small number of people though

• Petter1@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Those are definitely iPhone pro users and those get thunderbolt if my feeling is right (based on rumors I lost the source, lol)

• theoc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Proprietary card audio port? What are you talking about? Apple doesn’t care about wired audio and neither does the average consumer.

I’ve been using Bluetooth headphones for many years and imo it was the right call to push the industry in this direction. Bluetooth headphones don’t die as quickly as you think. My first gen QC35 lasted close to 5 years when I replaced them and the battery was still good. They were replaced because they started making a weird noise randomly and I didn’t take the best care of them so probably some wire in them became loose or something.

People don’t like change but if you still want to use wired headphones you can. Use a USB-C/lightning adapter to headphone jack.

Batteries can last a long time. We have a Tesla in the driveway that I expect the battery to last 10+ years at least.

• CaptPretentious@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Man, you over trust tech industries… but your on Lemmy, weird IMO.

Apple doesn’t care about wired audio and neither does the average consumer.

That’s a lie, customers do care. They weren’t given a choice.

imo it was the right call to push the industry in this direction

Why? Because I cannot fathom a reason to remove a perfectly good option, especially since that option has existed for some decades.

I fully expect Apple to release a “premium” cabled option down the road. And why wouldn’t they? Better audio quality and a whole new tech line to get money from. And if it’s proprietary then they don’t have to worry about those pesky non-Apple branded headphone from working.

Good for you you’ve been using Bluetooth. So have I. I also use cabled audio sometimes because I can or because it has fewer issues. I have headphones from the 80s and 90s that still work. I also have Bluetooth that gets flakey if I put the phone in the wrong pocket or I turn my head the ‘wrong way’. Because Bluetooth is just a low powered radio.

People don’t like change but if you still want to use wired headphones you can. Use a USB-C/lightning adapter to headphone jack

The whole world had 3.5mm headphones. Then Bluetooth was an option. Now it’s forced and the standard everyone had that any headphone or 3.5mm cable worked with doesn’t. And lightning, is only Apple. And it’s ignoring the myriad of problems…

And to make it perfectly clear, because I feel like people completely miss the point here (because every time this is brought up that seems to be the case). I’m not saying Bluetooth audio needs to go away. I’m saying, there was nothing gained from forcing people. Also, there’s nothing gained from proprietary bullshit or things that cannot be repaired/maintained by people.

Lithium-ion batteries can last 10+ years. They can also last much shorter. They’re not magic and it doesn’t matter who makes them. It’s science. They will fail. From over use, kept at the wrong amount of charge for too long, too hot\cold, somehow damaged, etc. They are going to fail and are all e-waste. I mean, find me someone who has any mobile phone that’s from 2013 that still gets the full use of it like it was originally advertised. I mean, you’re expecting to get 10 years maybe more out of a car… and you’re not mad about that. I know people who drive cars that were built in the 60s. They’ve been able to repair/replace/maintained that vehicle for the life of it. Apple hates the idea of you repairing anything from them.

• theoc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Good point. I guess it can take a while if a large app is being moved to the device. I haven’t done Android dev in a while but I think ADB debugging can also be done wirelessly.

• theoc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

What are you transferring? Do you really think others are? Most people just use Google Photos or equivalent for photo back up and YouTube Music/Spotify/Apple Music/Amazon Music/etc.

• LifeInOregon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I wouldn’t describe myself as a fanboy, but here’s my reasons for continuing to use an iPhone and not moving to Android:

1. I’ve been a Mac user for over 20 years. I’ve got a lot of Mac software that I use that have iOS only counterparts, and I’ve no interest in comparable software. The inertia of daily use software is a huge incentive for me.
      2. In the case of USB C vs Lightning or 2.0 vs. 3.v, I genuinely don’t use USB for file transfer to and from my phone. I may be a unicorn, but iCloud file sync and iCloud Photos have always worked reliably for me. Documents are on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac when I go looking for them. Photos and videos are there when I go looking for them. I don’t think I’ve plugged my iPhone into a computer (Mac or otherwise) in the last four years.
      3. I’ve charged on a QI charger for as long as I can remember (and a 3d printed MagSafe stand now). I have several lightning cables stashed away, but I actually loaned them out more than I use them. And my battery life is not a major concern for me. Since the iPhone X I’ve mostly managed all day battery life between my bedside and desktop chargers. And most days I use my phone lightly enough that I don’t need frequent charge ups.
      4. And the last bit: long term support. I hand down my devices about two years after getting them (in my immediate and extended family). I have family members with six year old iPhones who are still receiving software updates to the most recent OS. My iPhone X being used by my daughter won’t get iOS 17 this year, but it’s from 2017. And when I upgrade later this fall I’ll replace the battery in my 13 Pro, and hand it off to her. My son has an iPhone 12 that my wife handed down to him, last year. iPhones “wear” well.
      • exohuman@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I agree about the iPhones wearing well. Folks in my family pass down their iPhones too, but the ones with Android phones don’t seem to last. The lose support so quickly it’s not even funny.

• oij2@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Some Androids have extremely long support times, like the Fairphone. But as a general rule, yes, this is true. Unless you buy a Fairphone, or a model that is supported by Linage and root it, you’re losing software updates after just 2 years, which is insane.

• cloud@lazysoci.al
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Ads campaigns apple spends billions in, such has having their brand name on top of every community to boost their popularity and overshadow competitors

• zumi@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I haven’t transferred data over a usb cable in at least a decade. This means nothing to me.

• nutsack@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

it’s an identity. you might be surprised to see how often the apple logo is used on random things in countries where copyright doesn’t exist. like it’s a symbol of something really important.

but I think the USB 2.0 thing is completely normal and this is a misleading headline

edit: oh look im being le downvoteddit

• thewitchslayer@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I mean, it has been normal for apple phones. Lightning cables only have USB 2.0 transfer speeds as it currently stands. They’ve used it from iPhone 5 up to iPhone 14, including the pro and max versions. Only the iPad pros have the potential for USB 3.0 speeds. Those are the only ones with 16 pin connectors instead of the standard 8 pins in all other lightning connectors