I realize this is lazy, but I did try to wiki this and I don’t know if the numbers are accurate and it’s pretty complicated to read.

I want to know the numbers on both sides. I realize this might seem a little unsensitive and there is a story behind every number, but I still want to know the human cost of war. Because it does look like it’s one of the worst wars in terms of human cost in recent memory. Now, how many people have died in the war and are we doing everything we can to end the war?

Edit: War Casualties Stands at 500k (Russian + Ukrainian, excluding civilians), this number is from the https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/18/us/politics/ukraine-russia-war-casualties.html

I doubt the Ukrainian Death count mentioned here, 70k (200k casualties), I doubt if the death toll among the Ukrainians are that low.

Just to put things into perspective 58,220 US personnel died (Fatal casualties) in Vietnam which lasted close to a decade.

Edit 2: Abandoning this thread. I got my answer and I have been using Lemmy a lot these past days (and that’s not good. We all have better things to do than sit infront of a computer)

• Schaedelbach@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Those numbers in the hundreds of thousands (often referred to as “liquidated” in the numbers published by the Ukrainians) contain killed, missing, Pow and injured. Also those numbers are likely inflated for obvious reasons: this is an information war just as much as one on the battlefield. There are some sources (Oryx on Twitter for example) and people who digest those kind of sources (Perun on YouTube for example) I suggest watching to be as good informed as possible. And yet there will still be copius amounts of disinformation, propaganda and fake news on both sides and we probably have to wait years afters this war has ended to know at least some truths.

• Maddison@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The human cost of this war is pretty sobering! Idk, maybe we will learn the actual cost was close to millions after 10 years or so.

• jeffw@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I think I read a few weeks ago it was like 200k-300k for Ukraine and closer to 400k-ish for Russia, but Russian numbers are hard to verify.

• Ropianos@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I assume you mean casualties? In that case outright deaths would be approximately a third of that.

• Maddison@sh.itjust.worksOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

casualties include people take out of fight (I think), amputees, wounded who won’t fight again if I am not wrong.

Edit: In civilian usage, a casualty is a person who is killed, wounded or incapacitated by some event; the term is usually used to describe multiple deaths and injuries due to violent incidents or disasters. It is sometimes misunderstood to mean “fatalities”, but non-fatal injuries are also casualties. -Wiki

• wahming@monyet.cc
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

If you lose your hand, you’re a casualty. If you lose your head, you’re a death.

• mbrx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Does that include civilians, it sounds a bit on the low side for that for me, but I have no source or anything. I know that a lot of children was kidnapped and taken to Russia so that’s quite more also.

• MrFunnyMoustache@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

This is extremely difficult to count, even years later.

Think of a bomb that failed to detonate during the war, and 20 years later some kid finds it and it explodes in their face. Think of people who got injured during the war in a way that shortened their lives and they died a decade later. Think of the generation of traumatized soldiers who will have a higher probability of developing an alcohol addiction which can lead to death. It’s really difficult to know how many people died because of a war even years after it ended.

• Echo71Niner@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Ukraine wont claim their death toll is high, but, every country at war, want to lie and pretend that is not the case, for morals.