It’s funny when armchair experts insist that the fediverse won’t catch on because “federation is too hard to understand” when arguably the most widespread communication system on the internet follows the same model

• schizo@forum.uncomfortable.business
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 hours ago

unmoderated

Fun fact: that’s not strictly true.

You could have moderated groups, where a moderator/group of moderators would get sent every post via email, and they’d only be posted into the group if approved.

The vast, vast, vast majority of groups were not moderated, but that’s not to say you couldn’t do so.

• Supervisor194@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

Yes pardon me I left off the word “largely” before “unmoderated.” We all knew it was possible, but it didn’t matter because, as you point out - nobody really did.

• schizo@forum.uncomfortable.business
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 minute ago

We all knew it was possible

I wouldn’t bet on that, which is why I mentioned moderated groups at all. As you said, they’re rare and even if you used usenet 20 or 25 or 30 years ago, the odds that you’d have ever seen one was shockingly low.

So even ex-usenet users might not have a clue that there was a method for doing that (let alone any of the people who aren’t that old), which is why I brought it up.