Poland has ordered the closure of the Russian consulate in the western city of Poznan over Moscow’s alleged “sabotage” attempts inside the country, Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said Tuesday.

“I have information that Russia is behind sabotage attempts in Poland and allied countries. I have therefore decided to withdraw my permission for the Russian consulate to operate in Poznan,” Sikorski told reporters.

Russian staff at the consular mission will be recognized as “undesirable,” Poland’s state news agency PAP quoted him as saying.

• skillissuer
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

lmao can you imagine

i don’t think he’d pull more votes than Trzaskowski tho

• misk@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

Sikorski could pull more far right votes while left wing voters would would still go with him as the lesser evil (even if both sides are mostly the same). KO with PiS have been polarising society around their conflict to secure as many votes from people who will mobilise only so that the other side doesn’t win. Pretty bad state of things all around.

• skillissuer
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 hours ago

i don’t think he’s got enough cred with rightwingers. he always has been and will be seen as PO’s man, he’s not Giertych for example. his abrasiveness can be both liability and an asset depending on how it’ll get managed during campaign

• misk@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          23 hours ago

Sikorski is strongly anti-communist (and actual left in general), fairly conservative (against equal marriage) and tends to piss some people off. That’s enough character for many right wing voters since even Trzaskowski managed to secure about half of Konf votes last time. It’s a tossup on who KO is going to go with and Trzaskowski seems more likely but I wouldn’t dismiss Sikorski’s chance.

• skillissuer
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            23 hours ago

fair ig. considering konfa voters it’ll depend on who PiS would put as a candidate, if that’s some terminally loyal nobody then maybe it’ll work

• Melchior@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

I thought Poland has proportional representation. So why do left wing voters not just vote for a left wing party, which then forms a coalition with KO?

• misk@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          23 hours ago

Presidential election has only one winner. If you really want to win you have weigh your chances in the run-off since nobody is going to win in the first round.

• jmcs
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 day ago

Proportional representation is for the parliament. Presidential elections only have one winner.

• skillissuer
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          24 hours ago

funny that you ask about it because this week our parliamentary socdem party fell apart, it seems, i haven’t caught up with it yet in detail. this is about presidential elections which in all probability will play out in second turn between PiS and KO candidates