• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 hours ago

Our parents didn’t think it was important. Our kids don’t think it is necessary.

Imagine how horse farmers felt about engine maintenance on the first automobiles. Early adopters probably knew everything about how to fix tractors and cars. But today, how many people know how to change their own brakes or flush the coolant?

Life evolves, and transitions come faster with every generation. It’s good that nobody knows how to use a sextant or a fax machine.

• drosophila@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Farmers right now are fighting a legal battle for the ability to repair their own tractors.

It’s not good for farm equipment to be locked down and sealed off just like it’s not good for operating systems to be locked down and sealed off.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

I agree with you on that. I’d also like to be able to replace the battery on my phone or control my social media. But that wasn’t really my point. Disposable goods are bad for consumers and bad for the environment, along with fast fashion, factory farming, corporate conglomeration, and the vertical integration of news media.

And I think that’s the new frontier, which is really just reclaiming the old frontier from the profit-takers. People are learning to sew and knit, how to cook, how to farm, how to repair their stuff, and how to evaluate propaganda. That’s the shit our kids will say we never bothered to learn, and if they do it right, maybe their kids won’t have to learn.

• variants@possumpat.io
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 hours ago

I’m still mad we print so much stuff at work, it’s 2024 just update a spread sheet. I don’t need an email much less a physical copy of something I saw the update for an hour ago

• henfredemars@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 hours ago

I had to print out a PDF the other day because the software wouldn’t let me sign it, and then scan the document back into the computer.

• Ech@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

It’s certainly partially that, but that’s not the whole picture. Before, every old thing “everyone” knew how to do was replaced with a new thing “everyone” knew how to do. But at the moment, is there a new thing? I can’t think of one. All but the most niche products are built to be as easy to use as possible, and if it breaks or slows down, replacement is more preferred than tinkering. I don’t see the same need anywhere to get our hands dirty that leads to widespread proficiency like the image is talking about.

• shalafi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

My dad thought computers were important. He got me a VIC-20 soon as they came out, and that was $1,800 in today’s money, not an amount he spent lightly.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 hours ago

Sure, obviously there were exceptions or we wouldn’t have half the modern conveniences we do. My parents were very enthusiastic about computers, and my kids are each building their own desktops. I’m speaking in generalities.

• EldritchFeminity@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

I think the modern car climate is a better comparison than the change from horse and buggy to Model T. Many people work on their own cars, but it’s mostly for fun and the increasing levels of computers and sensors in cars makes it more difficult to do all the work yourself. And then you add in the nuts and bolts car companies make that can only be unscrewed using special tools that the companies also make to force you to bring the car to one of their dealerships.

Tech literacy rates are falling like the skill to use a car with a manual transmission. Since everything kids do is on their phone, and phones are like that one car company that welded the hoods of their cars shut, they never need to pick up the skills with computer software that the work world expects them to have (but who really wants to know how to use Word and Excel anyways), nor the skills with working on your own hardware.

Sidenote: Fax machines are, unfortunately, still very much a thing. At least, if you ever have to deal with the federal government or the medical industry, they are.