And the steroids for my sinuses aren’t helping matters.

• cryshlee@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Well right now, I can’t sleep because I read your username and it’s a terrible day to have eyes

• candyman337@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Play calming music instead, the Minecraft soundtrack is what I use, it lets me paint a picture in my head of things going on as it soothes me to sleep, I usually never make it past song 5 lol

• ButtholeSpiders@startrek.websiteOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Funny you mention that method, I do a similar method myself! I was also told that might be a sign I have undiagnosed autism. But, with outside life stresses, it’s been harder to accomplish the shut down process lately. But with that said, you’ve convinced me to give it a second try tonight, wish me luck!

• Yuki@kutsuya.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

I have diagnosed autism and I have the same… Problem? I often have to listen to some music after a busy day or a stressful day in order to be able to fall asleep.

• ButtholeSpiders@startrek.websiteOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Apologies for the late response, and perhaps I need to be tested. 🤔 I just feel like a tea kettle constantly near boiling after a hard day. Some nights, the most I get is 4 hours and the rest of the time I wake up a panicked state. Awake for hours until I have to get up. 🥴

• Denvil@lemmy.one
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Wait, is this linked to autism? I’m on the spectrum and thought this was normal, do people not listen to calming music when they sleep??

• Yuki@kutsuya.dev
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

People usually do not, no. At least that is what my coworkers and friends say!

• Fuck_u_spez_@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

The blue light filter works for some people. Not sure what the iOS equivalent is called but on Android you can just search the settings for Night Light.

• Pons_Aelius@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

inevitable: adj Impossible to avoid or prevent; certain to happen. synonym: certain.

No, death is inevitable, this is a choice.

• WYLD_STALLYNS@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I mean, not everyone has the choice to separate themselves from their phones these days. It eventually becomes a habit. Probably also hard to gauge someone else’s stress levels from work.

• Pons_Aelius@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

not everyone has the choice to separate themselves from their phones

True but I doubt they are an on call surgeon.

If they cannot leave their phone outside their bedroom, they need to be discussing it with a therapist not here.

• WYLD_STALLYNS@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

Never meant to imply they were an, on call surgeon, just difficult for us to judge the why people behave differently than we would.

It’s always easier to judge from the outside, instead of putting yourself in their shoes.

• TheRealKuni@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I recently learned about the cognitive shuffle technique. Shit works remarkably well. Something to keep your consciousness engaged while tricking your brain into falling asleep.

(Also reading a book or an e-ink eReader is far better than reading your phone.)

• BoneALisa@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Recently bough an e-ink reader for this exact reason. I’m reading for the first time in almost 10 years and I am falling asleep way quicker and getting better sleep than i have in a loooong time. Best $100 ive spent in awhile.

• Paran
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Same here, also i seem to have more vivid dream. Reading is amazing.

• TheRealKuni@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah, the Paperwhite is not a backlit screen. The light shines down onto the page and reflects back, which is easier on the eyes. Basically the same as if you had a book light.

The newer one can do warmer light, too, but any Paperwhite is good enough.

But seriously try out that cognitive shuffle thing, it’s pretty amazing how well it works for me (as long as I’m tired; I haven’t really tried it when wide awake, that’s when I read).

• Shurimal@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

What I found helped me getting to sleep earlier and faster was automating my living room lights. When the sun goes 3° below the horizon or at 21:00 (whichever comes later) the lights slowly go down to 30% brightness. I get sleepy soon after and hit the sack earlier than I used to.

If only I could also automate the brightness of my desktop PC-s monitor, too. Alas, can’t even manually control the brightness from software…

• Shurimal@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Doesn’t flux change just the color temperature? This is built into Windows itself these days.

But I don’t want to change color temperature and throw out color accuracy; I want to change just the brightness, automatically so I don’t have to fudge around in monitor OSM all the time.

• DrRatso@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You should be able to control the brightness. There at least are many ways you can do this in Linux.

• Shurimal@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I searched the web wide and far, under Windows there doesn’t seem to be a way to control the brightness of a standard DisplayPort desktop monitor from software, even after installing the monitor drivers. My keyboard has brightness keys, the brightness slider pops up and moves, but the screen brightness stays the same.