• ChuckLopez@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I was really hoping that Lemmy was going to be safe from the nonsense “Nobody…” format. I guess not.

• Nelots@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I was hoping as well. Remove the two no one lines and this meme is the exact same. The meme format is horrible and adds absolutely nothing to 99.9% of the memes it’s attached to. It’s dumb.

• mustardman
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

It almost never works, like in this exact meme. Nobody but churches asks for financial support?

• Dizzy Devil Ducky@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Without your money, how would people like Kenneth Copeland be able to spread the good word of God if they don’t have a private jets, luxury cars, and lavish houses?

They’re all things that God wants them to have because God clearly wants those who spread his message to millions to live in excess.

/s

• pumpedUpWalrus@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

All churches I have gone to make their finances very transparent. While some of it goes to the higher ups the vast majority goes to funding day to day operations and mission work. My church regularly will help prepare meals for the homeless and impoverished on Christmas, goes to “third world” countries to help get them clean water, medicine, and food. No church I have gone to ever said this is needed for salvation, they just say that it helps them do good things in the world and spread gods love.

• MrLuemasG@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’ve definitely had experiences with both. I’ve seen churches that used the money to feed the poor. I’ve also been to churches who said you would “suffer” if you didn’t tithe at least 10% of your paycheck and that never did any kind of community outreach - they would just spend the money on expansions for the church building and bonuses for the pastor.

So it’s definitely a mixed bag

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

not to mention the food for the poor, the stuff for clean water etc… are all just loss leaders. The goal is to proselytize. either directly to the poor… or, more likely, to brag about how good they are. usually both.

• Destide@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Thank goodness money was invented so we can save ourselves from damnation, which weirdly came about the same time as hell