• elscallr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Because they’re not going away, to be honest. I’m a conservative but I’m not one of them (call me a libertarian if it makes it easier to classify). I’m pro choice, and pro gay marriage, and pro drug legalization, but I think the tenth amendment matters more than you do and I’m pro gun. That makes me a conservative, fine. But we agree on a fuck load of things, and I’m not the only one like me. There’s lots of people who think like I do. And they’re enough people they’re a margin of victory. If you’re ok with them voting for Donald Trump then, by all means, keep it up. But if you want to be a fucking adult about this shit and understand that different people value different things there’s a lot of dialogue to be had, and that language (on both sides) is how we got as fucked up as we have.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

You’re right, more people should be armed so they don’t even need the states to have rights.

• Domille@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Funny thing is, liberals are getting armed. I am a die hard liberal, and we have several guns in the house.

We are not all going to get shot like that lady with the rainbow flag in her shop… I mean, we’ll probably get shot anyway, but at least we could fight back. And who knows, maybe just seeing that we are armed will dissuade the POSs that want to try.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

I love that, honestly. I have lots of liberal friends, and I encourage firearm ownership among them.

• ijeff@lemdro.id
                cake
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

What are the benefits of owning a fireman? Does it impact your home insurance rates or likelihood of total loss in case of a fire?

• elscallr@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 months ago

No and no. I own the firearm because I like to shoot and I want to have a firearm. I don’t need a better reason to have it, in my opinion.

• chunkystyles@sopuli.xyz
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

They’re Libertarian, so it’s probably more about lowering the age of consent…

• elscallr@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Say what you want, you aren’t going to get under my skin with nonsense. But I’m right, and I’m smarter than you are, especially about this, and you guys better get your shit together before you really cost the country.

• nilloc
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I then enlighten us, libertarians generally want unrealistic deregulation in areas that result in poorer educational, health, and economic outcomes for groups of people that aren’t themselves.

Cutting taxes while giving roads, power lines, municipal waste and water systems, schools and whatever else to a public private partnership or free market that can do “better” doesn’t work. It’s unrealistic and the reason libertarians are a joke.

If you’re really a liberal who likes guns and disagrees with the left on a few other issues, get in line and welcome to the left. Where disorganized leaderless handwringing at least doesn’t lead to (as many) dead lgbt teens and (such exacerbated) globe ending pollution.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

The issues with which I disagree with the left are literally the role of the State. That’s what the original line was, and why I don’t call myself a liberal, and I think there’s common ground to be found or compromise to be had.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

I think there’s common ground to be found or compromise to be had

Ah yes, that’s why you’re saying things like

I’m right, and I’m smarter than you are, especially about this, and you guys better get your shit together before you really cost the country.

Those are the words of someone trying to work together and find compromises.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’m fine with people being conservative. I’m not okay with people who are still supporting Trump and all the lies of the MAGA crowd.