• Funderpants @lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Trump went from majority support to majority support. He will win the nomination because conservatives, Republicans in particular are terrible, awful people. None of this is really even new, they’ve been terrible for decades and decades.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

We need to find some way to meet their needs that isn’t politics, because the needs they are meeting have nothing to do with governance.

• Eldritch@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

There is nothing you can do that they won’t turn into politics. They turned the existence of groups of people into politics. That’s right by simply existing its politics. And there is no way you can avoid it.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Except that’s not politics. Not in any meaningful, constructive sense. It’s partisan but it’s not political, and I think there’s a pretty big difference.

• Eldritch@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

But that’s the problem you and I may think that way but a lot of people don’t. It has allowed them to make a myriad of non-political subjects political.

• psycho_driver@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

We need to find some way to meet their needs that isn’t politics

Uhh, an MMO where they can run around shooting at minorities and yelling racial epithets into their mics?

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

They’re scared. They are powerless to affect an uncertain future. They’ll get worse the longer they have to live like this. I guess we have to fix the world?

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                10 months ago

Yeah, and a drowning man needs to stop thrashing and pulling down his rescuers, but he’s fucking drowning.

• scemmy@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

They are easily scared you mean? For people who are so easily scared of everything, they sure seem to embrace guns and COVID like it’s their new Jesus.

• Maeve@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

An acquaintance of mine and I were discussing a physical altercation that occurred between him and a random other customer at a convenience store and the ubiquitousness of guns. A scary (jumpy;nervous) person with a firearm is perhaps more dangerous than the habitual criminal with a gun because they’re more likely to fire without reason.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

Your false bravado isn’t fooling anyone. If you’re not scared, you should be. If you feel in control of your future 20 years from now, you’re lying to yourself.

• tym@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

They’ve been so annoying since burning crosses fell out of style.

• LeFantome@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

More to do with enforcement than fashion. Which means it is still happening where they can get away with it.

• atomicfox@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

When so many people make comments like this and “basket of deplorables”, is it any wonder that so many people are so enthusiastic about Trump? It’s clear to them that people like you think very little of people like them, and they see him as “their guy”. Turns out people don’t like it when others make sweeping generalizations by calling them, and nearly half the country, evil.

• They actively call my family members “pedophiles” for being gay. I don’t like it when they make sweeping generalisations and call my family evil.

So forgive me for thinking you’re a reprehensible person if you support a person as vile as Trump. He started the mudslinging, not us.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

“I don’t like people who are actively supporting a bigoted criminal trying to get more power.”

“See, this is why they are supporting the bigoted criminal.”

Okay then…

• Funderpants @lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I am not responsible for conservatives abhorrent attitudes. If someone pointing out how absolutely shitty you are being makes you even more shitty, that is entirely on you.

• magnusrufus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

It is kind of telling how emotionally fragile republicans are based on how the deplorables comment devastated them.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

And this is why democrats throw on the shocked pikachu face every election they lose. When you shit on a person for years, have kneejerk reactions to whatever they think and generalize half the population, don’t be shocked when they don’t vote for “your guy”. Also, your slightly racist grandma will go out and vote every time, when your asses won’t.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Rhetoric like that is absolutely going to make them more willing to work with you, you should keep it up.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

They’re not going to, though. Believing they will makes you naive or stupid. What happens then?

• Domille@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

You know, last century not a single decent person would say “we should work with the fascists”… and yet here we are…

• elscallr@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

Fine. Take it that way, I’m getting past caring honestly.

You can think about this shit a little more deeply than that or you can interpret what I said that way. I’m sick of trying to talk sense into you assholes, it’s not worth it.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

The time for a conversation has passed a long time ago. Nobody is convincing anybody of anything.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 months ago

I have to believe that’s not the case. The moment the time for conversation ends is the moment violence happens. That’s not an opinion or a threat, that’s how humanity operates. And if y’all wanna do that then fine, you do that, but I don’t want to be involved.

But since when you twats decide to light my country on fire I’m going to have to try to keep living in it, I’m gonna keep trying to talk to people that’ll listen. At least I’m fucking doing something to fix the shit, what are you doing?

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Rhetoric like that is absolutely going to make them more willing to work with you, you should keep it up.

• gmtom@lemmy.world
                cake
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

I’m sick of trying to talk sense into you assholes, it’s not worth it.

Congrats, now you know how we feel and why we dont give a shit about working with fascists, fascist apologists or wannabe fascists.

• Regular Human@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Lol, I’m certainly not getting sucked into a concern trolling argument about compromising with fascists

• elscallr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Because they’re not going away, to be honest. I’m a conservative but I’m not one of them (call me a libertarian if it makes it easier to classify). I’m pro choice, and pro gay marriage, and pro drug legalization, but I think the tenth amendment matters more than you do and I’m pro gun. That makes me a conservative, fine. But we agree on a fuck load of things, and I’m not the only one like me. There’s lots of people who think like I do. And they’re enough people they’re a margin of victory. If you’re ok with them voting for Donald Trump then, by all means, keep it up. But if you want to be a fucking adult about this shit and understand that different people value different things there’s a lot of dialogue to be had, and that language (on both sides) is how we got as fucked up as we have.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

You’re right, more people should be armed so they don’t even need the states to have rights.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Funny thing is, liberals are getting armed. I am a die hard liberal, and we have several guns in the house.

We are not all going to get shot like that lady with the rainbow flag in her shop… I mean, we’ll probably get shot anyway, but at least we could fight back. And who knows, maybe just seeing that we are armed will dissuade the POSs that want to try.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  10 months ago

I love that, honestly. I have lots of liberal friends, and I encourage firearm ownership among them.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                10 months ago

Say what you want, you aren’t going to get under my skin with nonsense. But I’m right, and I’m smarter than you are, especially about this, and you guys better get your shit together before you really cost the country.

• nilloc
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

I then enlighten us, libertarians generally want unrealistic deregulation in areas that result in poorer educational, health, and economic outcomes for groups of people that aren’t themselves.

Cutting taxes while giving roads, power lines, municipal waste and water systems, schools and whatever else to a public private partnership or free market that can do “better” doesn’t work. It’s unrealistic and the reason libertarians are a joke.

If you’re really a liberal who likes guns and disagrees with the left on a few other issues, get in line and welcome to the left. Where disorganized leaderless handwringing at least doesn’t lead to (as many) dead lgbt teens and (such exacerbated) globe ending pollution.

• gmtom@lemmy.world
                  cake
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

But I’m right, and I’m smarter than you are

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I’m fine with people being conservative. I’m not okay with people who are still supporting Trump and all the lies of the MAGA crowd.

• gmtom@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah because we totally want to work with the people actively trying to drive trans kids to suicide, that want 12 year old rape victims to be forced to give birth, that are trying to rewrite history to say slavery wasnt a bad thing that are okay with a president trying to subvert democratic elections, that are calling for a second civil war, that are okay with kids getting shot so long as theres not even the mildest restriction on their guns, that think climate change is a hoax and they should be able to run over protestors, that want ukraine to surrender to Russia and the US should leave NATO, that think public healthcare is communism/slavery, that homeless people just need to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and billionaires shouldnt be taxed because taxes are theft, that are all for gerrymandering, removing political opponents from office, making it harder for minorities to vote, storming state capitols, calling in bomb threats just to get their guy into office, because he is trying to hurt the people they think deserve to be hurt.

And we’re the bad guys for not caving into their every demand in order to try and “work with them” as they kick and scream and cry the entire time, just to secure the vote of some tosser that believes in half that shit and would switch back to republican the second the dems do something too “woke” for them anyway. Sure, that sounds very productive.

• Jordan Lund@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Worth pointing out that a national poll is pointless as we do not have national elections.

Show me the polling from these states:

Iowa - 1/15 Caucus - 8/24 - Trump +20
    New Hampshire - 1/22 Primary - 8/15-17 - Trump +20
    Nevada - 2/6 Primary, 2/8 Caucus 6/26-28 - Trump +30
    South Carolina - 2/24 Primary 8/17-19 - Trump +34
    Michigan - 2/27 Primary 8/1-2 - Trump +48
    Idaho - 3/2 Caucus (no polls available)
    D.C. - 3/3 Primary (no polls available)
    (Trump D.C. Trial begins) - 3/4
    Super Tuesday - 3/5 - Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Maine, Masachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia.
    Mini-Tuesday - 3/12 - Georgia, Mississipi, Washington

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

And even if it did have significance, dropping 6 points still puts him way ahead of any of the competition.

• hitmyspot@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yes, but it shows discontent and as candidates drop out, they will end up converging on one vs trimp

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I doubt it. As the candidates bow out, most voters will return to Trump as their second choice. His voters aren’t leaving because they don’t like him.

• hitmyspot@aussie.zone
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

If they’re not on the trump train now, or are looking at alternatives, they are more likely to change to other candidates. The question is whether there are enough sane people.

I wonder if the emperor having no clothes will suddenly lead to an abandonment by his base. Full on support, until it isn’t.

• malloc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This guy could be 20 points down in some random poll. I’m showing up to the polls against him.

• Hazdaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Trump being the GOP front-runner is great news for Democrats.

The only thing better would be if Trump tried spinning off onto a 3rd party. Dividing the conservative vote would be the best thing to happen to this country in decades.

• TechyDad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The bigger issue for Republicans isn’t really Trump, but Trumpism. Let’s say that Trump dropped out tomorrow and didn’t run as a third party candidate. Apart from pigs flying and Satan having a snowball fight, the Republicans would need to pick a new frontrunner.

The person who would likely have the best chance of winning the general election would be Nikki Haley. This isn’t to say that I like her or agree with her positions (I definitely don’t). I just think that she would be the Republican candidate that would have the best shot in the 2024 general election.

Nikki isn’t going to survive the primary, though. The Republican primaries are all about how far right you can go. They don’t cheer moderate conservative views, they cheer far right views. Basically, they want a candidate who will go right up to the “this country should only be run by straight, white, Christian men” and then dip their toe over that line. And this is just getting bolder so soon they’ll only vote for someone who is willing to erase the line and arrest anyone who says that there should be a line.

What happens when a “Only Straight White Christian Men” candidate meets the general electorate, though? They get trounced - especially if they’re up against a moderate Democrat. (I lean progressive, but I’m enough of a realist to know that moderate Democrats are the best bet to win in some areas.)

So even if Trump were out of the picture, the vicious cycle of “we need someone Republicans even further to the right” will make them less and less electable. Of course, Republicans won’t give up power willingly so they’ll rely more and more on gerrymandering, disenfranchisement via voter suppression, and other dirty tactics to keep their minority rule.

• arc@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Definitely. Trump’s own ego compels him to run for nomination but by running and winning he increases the chances of losing the election and going to prison with nobody to pardon him.

That said the Democrats need to be very concerned about a 3rd party called “No Labels” that masquerades as a left leaning party but is strongly suspected to be a spoiler party orchestrated by the right. Don’t be surprised if Joe Manchin sleazes his way into the limelight by running as their candidate.

• negativeyoda@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

2016 taught me to not be too confident, but does anyone actually like Manchin?

Moderate to left types hate him and he has a D next to his name, so GOP voters see him as satanic. Am I missing something?

• arc@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

He wouldn’t be the only spoiler candidate this year. We already have dumb and dumber running - RFK Jr and West. Every last one of these pieces of shit has Republican (and thus Russian) connections.

It would be a blessing if he did run since as you say Manchin is not a popular person inside the Democratic party or in general.

• commie@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

calling west “dumb” or “dumber” belies your own ignorance. he’s an ivy league educated prodigy.

• Hazdaz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

strongly suspected to be a spoiler party

He wouldn’t be the only spoiler candidate this year. We already have dumb and dumber running - RFK Jr and West.
        Every last one of these pieces of shit has Republican (and thus Russian) connections.

• btaf45@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Could also be due to his absolutely ridiculous mug shot. He looks like a 5 year old crying and pouting because he has to stand in the corner for doing something bad. From the picture you can easily understand why aids testified under oath that Trump threw food on the wall. You cannot help but wonder: Is President Crybaby going to launch nuclear weapons because he didn’t get his ice cream?

https://lemmy.world/pictrs/image/fe792f17-6e1f-494f-bc6b-a9e740f16bf7.jpeg

• NevermindNoMind@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

He raised over 7 million dollars from that mugshot in the 48 hours after it was released. Laugh all you want, but his cult was buying up “boohoo I’m so persecuted” merch by rascal load.

• btaf45@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

That’s a good thing. The more that Crybaby Trump’s humiliating picture is out there, the better. And that is another 7 million dollars that will not be used to help elect Republicans

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yeah, it would suck if it’s going to fund campaigns, but it’ll only be used for Trump, and largely probably legal funds.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Also, if the rumors he doesn’t drink are true they he absolutely was crying with those red eyes of his.

• Riccosuave@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I mean he probably didn’t sleep great the night before either. You have to think that underneath all the bullshit and bravado he is actually concerned about facing repercussions even if he firmly believes he did nothing wrong.

As foolish as he may be, we also know he is a selfish, self-centered egomaniac who is concerned for his own well being above everything else in the entire universe. So I bet he is high-key stressing on this behind the scenes.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

oh he was absolutely crying himself to sleep. possibly also drinking himself to sleep.

• Riccosuave@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I think he uses and constantly references the fact he doesn’t drink to cover up or justify his use of other “legal” prescription substances like amphetamines in his own mind.

I could be wrong, but I think the whole “I’m straight-edge” act is total bullshit, and stems from his superiority complex.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I suspect if he’s not actually using substances for anything, it’s because he ignored his doctor’s warnings and nearly died because of it.

Vis a vis, alcohol, his liver is probably shot to hell. He’s simply got too many other habits that are adjacent to drugs and alcohol to have never had any.

• nilloc
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

He’s definitely done a ton of coke. Pretty sure all assistants have confirmed that from back in the apprentice.

• foof@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

People lose weight from stress? How lucky of them, I gain weight from stress. Double bad.

• ALQ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

With every ridiculous thing he’s done, I’d forgotten about him throwing food at the wall. Thanks for the reminder! I needed a good laugh!

• Sabin10@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Intentionally choosing the Kubrick stare because he thinks it makes him look innocent says a lot about the characters he sympathizes with and it’s kind of terrifying.

• rockSlayer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Negative turnout is going to be a huge deciding factor in this election. Can’t win the nomination without Trump, can’t win an election with him.

• Ghostalmedia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

And the two people leading the polls behind him are basically trying to do their best impression of him. So that’s great.