If you look on “cyberpunk” play-list on youtube, it’s mostly some synthwave electronic music.

if I think about Cyberpunk, I obviously think about 2020’s rockerboys with a guitar-axe, or skater like snow crash’s YT. Also, as it’s name stands it’s a deeply punk anti-capitalist. I feel like RATM or noFX would be way more suited in that genre than some DJ playing with synth.

So how did we switched from guitar to synth, and from anti-capitalism to neon aesthetic ?

• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Personally when I think of Cyberpunk I think of Jet Set Radio/Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, or I think of something along the lines of Akira or the music video for Ken Ishii - Extra. That said, the pop-culture aesthetic is mostly based on Bladerunner, which was based on what people thought a dystopian future would look like in the 80’s. What would future-80’s music sound like? Well, that was when synths really started taking off, so future music is obviously all synth-based because why would you need another instrument if your keyboard can do it all?

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It was the 80’s man, don’t ask questions. most people were still hung over from the 70’s.

More seriously, synthwave used and relied on synthesizers to produce the music… adding a cyber-esque flair to the music. Mostly any form of electronic fits the bill. but in the 80’s… it was synthwave that was hot and it kinda stuck.

• greavous@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

They weren’t hungover from the 70s, they were too coked up in the 80s to get round to hangovers till the 90s

• Synapse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Synthwave is actually a fairly new music genre that is inspired/nostalgic from the 80’s horror films and synth tunes of the time. Go pay a visite de the small community we have here on de fediverse !synthwave@waveform.social !

• R0cket_M00se@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

What about guitar music and anti-capitalism is inherently cyberpunk?

It seems like you played CP77 and went “yeah this is what cyberpunk is about” even though it’s just one entry into a genre that’s existed since the 80’s.

Blade runner had a lot of synth, so most likely that I guess.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Electronic music, electronic world. I don’t think it’s really deeper than that, TBH. It sounds cool and, when the cyberpunk genre was conceived, techno and synthwave were also pretty new and gaining popularity with the tech crowd IRL. It seems natural that the techno focused punks in a cyberpunk world would gravitate toward techno and synth music, though I would also imagine an evolution of styles mixing techno, punk, grunge and metal into something new, unique to a world where these genres have mingled and co-existed for a long time as part of the mainstream/counter-culture that you are immersed into while reading/watching/playing something cyberpunk.