Hey, all.

Is it possible to skip this ‘register your server’ step when creating a self-hosted Rocketchat instance? I just don’t want to, ya know? Regular websearching is just giving a lot about how to disable user registration rather than skipping the server registration with Rocketchat HQ.

• megamanOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’ve set up a test server for matrix as well, wanted to compare to rocket since I see it mentioned a lot.

When I told a friend (the one I’d need on board to get the group of friends to use it) he said “does it have the gifs?” Matrix has a years-long enhancement request for native giphy support which is yet resolved. I dabbled with a giphy plugin with matrix and it worked alright, but I dunno if it was good enough to win my friends over.

• ptman@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I see. I’m an old fart and couldn’t care less about gifs. But I do care about stuff being open instead of someone suddenly telling me the conditions have changed.

• Monkey With A Shell@lemmy.socdojo.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I used rocket chat for a long time and unfortunatly in the last year or two they’ve started down that path of stripping and limiting all the good stuff out of the free edition and putting it into the enterprise/paid version only. It finally got to a point where using something else like nextcloud talk was the better option. I might try matrix at some point but given mine is purely for household use the addition of federation and public signups is actually a net negative.