Shitposting is what ruined reddit, which would be a great place for serious discussion if it weren’t for the shitposting maniacs who just can’t let good people enjoy pictures of kittens and assertions of respectable politics without lampooning them with ironic memes and foul language.

If these fledgeling platforms want to compete with reddit then I say delete this sub so we can focus on serious things like Donald Trump and superhero movies.

• benni@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Your idealistic view of shitposting may sound coherent in itself, but it lacks any basis in reality. Humans aren’t machines who can give monotonous and one-sided output indefinitely. Every action has a reaction, and every serious post requires its corresponding ironic shitpost to keep the mental balance in order. I’m not even saying that a compromise needs to be made, but rather that they are different sides of the same coin. No internet community, it is said, can grow to heaven if its shitposts do not reach down to hell.

• sentient_loom@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You (a sociopath) may think that shitposters are a necessary casualty of the internet wars, that they belong at the “children’s table” of the internet where serious discussions are met with mockery.

But I (a good person) know that these shitposters have the potential to better themselves, and through themselves better the world, by posting thoughtful content instead of the steady stream of drivel and waste that poisons communities and turns sons against daughters, mothers against uncles, and pets against emotional support animal companions.