link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

“I hate searching for drivers”

???

Of all the Linux nitpicks, you chose the one wrong answer.

Linux is way better with automatically installing drivers than Windows. Unless you’re using Nvidia, it’s literally in the kernel.

Linux has the issue of lacking in enterprise media software like Microsoft Office and Adobe Products. The former of which has long since become a non-issue. Adobe however persists. And some games will never run so long as the devs hold them hostage on anti-proton anticheat varients.

• klyde@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

And most people use Nvidia. Don’t act like it’s a small number.

• PvtGetSum@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Lmao. “Unless you’re in the majority of PC gamers then it’s not a problem” Linux users I swear

• lastweakness@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Pretty much every distro offers an easy way to install nvidia drivers.

It’s the peripherals that really need drivers. I remember having to install digimend drivers for my friend’s graphics tablet for example. That said, it wasn’t supported well on Windows either and performed better on my Linux setup than on Windows once I did find out about the digimend drivers.

Driver troubles for peripherals aren’t uncommon in Windows either. Don’t get me started on printers. Somehow, printers and scanners have always been plug and play for me on Linux, contrary to what I often hear.

• itsJoelle@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I run Nvida and Linux pretty regularly. It takes an extra step, but if you aren’t using a card at, basically, release it should be fine. 🤷‍♂️

• rush@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

They didn’t imply that little people were using Nvidia GPUs, he is referring to the fact that you do like…2 extra clicks or so to install Nvidia’s drivers? You don’t even need to open a web browser!

• desconectado@lemm.ee
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I don’t agree. I had lots of issues with printers, scanners, cameras, fingerprintreader, styluses. Yes, regular hardware, no issue, peripherals? Different story.

I know this is an issue from the manufacturers, but it’s still an issue.

• Aux@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

What are you even talking about? Hardware issues in Linux are neverending, not just Nvidia. How’s your HDR support going? DRM support? Can you plug multiple monitors and have different DPI settings on them yet? Got AptX LL? Let’s be real - fuck all works on Linux.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I have a 4k laptop display and use it alongside 2 1080 monitors just fine nowadays, Wayland handles that no problem

AFAIK HDR support still sucks though

• bitwolf@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

HDR support is almost finished, raytracing is pretty much rolled out, certain drm works such as Netflix.

There is Aptx HD support, but I believe they’re reverse engineering I’m sure Aptx LL will come eventually (or Qualcomm makes it easy). I have a friend that uses Aptx/ldac but I haven’t bothered myself.

It seems the only things that don’t work are tied to stereotypical anticompetitive companies refusing to support. Which is a shame because it’s capable of exceeding the other platforms in ease of use.

• Aux@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

You see, the problem is that support is coming. But by the time it comes, we have 10 new technologies, which are not supported yet. Linux is useless.

• itsJoelle@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Now now, saying its useless is a hair strong. It works wonderfully for servers. As a work station it can be a bit of a mess keeping perfect pairity with each new, sprawling branch of tech and standards. Especially when it’s in a blind spot most people find convienent (looking at you webapps).

It may not work for you, and what’s the harm in having more options for the consumers!

However, the evangelizing I don’t understand.

• bitwolf@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

To be fair. AptX in general is niche and proprietary. That fact that regular AptX and LDAC can be enabled with one command is awesome considering they’re proprietary.

Generally, if anything is a standard it’s added much more quickly than other platforms so I wouldn’t call it useless. It’s a shame because Linux really has the best Bluetooth stack. It just works.

I’m hopeful SBC-XQ gains traction, even if I prefer an uncompressed stream, at least we have a better A2DP standard. Linux already supports this so it’s ahead of the game.

• rush@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Widevine DRM works in both Chrome/Chromium and Firefox. HDR Support is nearly done. Yes, we can have different DPI/Scaling per monitor thanks to Wayland.

Go get some up-to-date information.

• Hexadecimalkink@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Adobe Photoshop is the only tool in Adobe’s suite that Linux can’t compete with. Inkscape is on par with Illustrator. Krita for whatever Adobes’s drawing tool is named. There are several proprietary or FOSS alternatives for Premiere Pro. It’s just GIMP that has a poor UI.