Source olgaf (very NSFW sex/commedy comics)

• GreenMario@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Everyone is interpeting the comic wrong, shitty title most likely.

Lions = billionaires

Gazelle = workers

Why do the workers need education? To be taught to accept their place in the food chain. It’s about propaganda, not taxes.

• dvdv@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I like your interpretation but the title is literally the title the artist gave it. I’m not sure who is right, the artist or the observer.

• Railing5132@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Exactly right - its in the first panel; “giving back”. It’s addressing the scraps that whales (large donor’s, sought by non-profit organizations) throw to NPO’s to “give back” to their community, which they also claim on their taxes as a donation.

• GreenMario@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

The artist posted it? Well lemmy play my “art is interpreted by the viewer” card then.

Otherwise, 🤷‍♂️

• poppy@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

The OP is not the artist, but they linked the source site for the comic which uses the same title.

• AEsheron@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I think it’s just another reference to how the rich stay rich, not exactly tied to the content of the comic but the theme.

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

This, they only tell you “Oh Gates dropped out and he became the richest man!”

In order to instill you with the idea that the rich are great men who can do the impossible and get good results…

They keep quiet that he dropped out of Harvard and his Mother gave him a contract because she owned IBM.

• Faresh@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

What is the interpretation of the people that think it is tax related?

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Not even fair there tho, in nature predators maintain a stable environment by regulating prey populations to sustainable sizes.

An equivalent under capitalism would be stronger anti-monopoly law and laws imposing heavy regulation on businesses above a given size within their respective markets.

A big hunter that keeps grazers at a size that doesn’t allow them to begin just eating everything and starving everyone else out while depleting the resource well for all.

• 🐱TheCat@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

ah yes, refuse to fund the schools with taxes and let the religious institutions do it. This is why Americans are generally thought of as ‘well-educated’ on the world stage.

…/s

• solstice@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m sure this is going to be a level headed rational discussion about taxes by all the knowledgeable skilled tax professionals in lemmy.

• satanmat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I glossed over the tax implications and went straight to the indoctrination of the masses into the ideals of capitalism

• gmtom@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I mean on one hand I agree with you. But on the other I don’t think you need to be a “tax professional” to have a valid opinion on taxes.

Like I’m sure you express opinions you are not a leafing expert on right?

• solstice@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Actually I try to go out of my way to not have opinions on complicated technical subjects I know nothing about. Tend to defer to whatever the experts’ consensus is. It’s shocking to me how few people do that.

Edit - lol at the downvotes, thanks for proving my point.

• Primarily0617@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

so you don’t vote presumably? since every issue you could decide your vote on is obviously highly technical once you drill down into it

• solstice@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                10 months ago

There’s consensus on climate change which I’m not an expert in so I defer to the opinion of the global scientific community. And there’s consensus among doctors and scientists worldwide on vaccines masks etc. That instantly makes it a lot easier to determine which individual or party to vote for.

Tax is really complicated and technical and most people (including the ~90% of accountants who don’t work in tax) don’t understand it at all. It would be cool if people would be more quiet about their opinions on it since they don’t understand the first thing about it.

Sidebar: imagine arguing with a doctor about medicine, a biologist about evolution, a lawyer about law. Never ceases to amaze me how many people have the hubris and audacity to argue with an SME about a technical subject in their own field 🙄

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  10 months ago

There are experts on both sides of climate change. And the ones on the “it’s a hoax” side would obviously beat you in a debate about it. Those ones are likely bought and paid for, but seeing as how you have literally no way of confirming that, by deferring to one side over the other you’re making a personal evaluation of the information presented to you as a non-expert. You know, like ordinary people do when they have opinions on things.

You don’t need to understand the entire US tax code to have an opinion on tax incentives. Much like you don’t have to be an airline pilot to know that a plane crashing isn’t a good thing.

• NBJack@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I HaVe oPiNioNs on tHAt!..

But seriously, I think while admirable, this would be the death of traditional leadership, where there’s a heavy reliance on abstraction of deep concepts to make informed decisions for larger entities (government, corporations, non profits, etc.). Make of that what you will.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

You don’t think corporations having a hand in what children/teenagers/adults learn because of lobbying and donations is a bad thing?

• IMongoose@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Nope, I’m a proud grad of Joint Carls Jr and Pizza Hut high and corporations should write the regulations because they know all the ins and outs burgers.

• PersnickityPenguin@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

You joke, but Carnegie built thousands of libraries across the country in the early 1900s, many of which are still in use today. Over 100 years later, the government never bothered building their own library.

Let that sink in.

• solstice@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Political contributions are textbook examples of nondeductible expenses. Charity contributions are deductible for all taxpayers to an extent. Private schools can be for-profit businesses and have been for quite some time and sometimes they teach controversial subjects. Not sure what relevance that is though. Seems like you should be angry about education policy, not tax policy.

That thing we’ve been talking about, you’re doing it here.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

Do you not understand that giving charitable donations in order to sway public opinion to your side is lobbying?

So again: you don’t have any problem with corporate influence over what children learn in schools?

• solstice@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Generally speaking I don’t find charity contributions a controversial subject, no. I do have a problem with you putting words in my mouth. You’re clearly pissed off about a bunch of things and there’s plenty to be pissed off about. But your ire is misdirected here, as badly as this comic is mistitled.

Seems like you’re just lashing out because you’ve read a bunch of malarkey saying rich people don’t pay taxes and now you’ve formed a political ideology around that misunderstanding.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

Words in your mouth? Oh dear.

🎵 Sounds like somebody doesn’t understand the logical consequences of the positions they hold 🎵

• We’ve established that tax cuts incentivize a behavior.
                  • We’ve established that corporate charitable donations can be and are used for lobbying.
                  • Lobbying can be and is used in the educational space.
                  • You don’t see any issue with tax deductions in this exact circumstance
                  • Therefore, you don’t see any issue with incentivizing lobbying in the educational space.

Seems like you’re just lashing out because you’ve read a bunch of malarkey saying rich people don’t pay taxes and now you’ve formed a political ideology around that misunderstanding.

Of all the Redditors who’ve tried to armchair psycho-analyze me, I think your attempt actually might be the worst.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

“corporations shouldn’t be allowed to have influence over what content is taught in schools” is “libertarian bullshit”?

• Kiosade@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Let me ask you something: Do you think that when corps donate, they get MORE in tax savings than they put in for donations?

• evranch@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

For the most part people don’t understand tax deductions and how they work, but this is true in the case of “donations in kind” of assets that are either overvalued or were going to be disposed of anyways.

The ideal charitable donation disposes of something you were going to have to pay to get rid of, generates a tax deduction, and makes you look good at the same time.

Perfect example is bogus environmental projects like building a reef out of old tires. It’s win/win/win until everyone finds out that something in the tires actually kills fish

• Meowoem@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                10 months ago

Yeah they send old medicines to Africa too, some poor hospital on Kenya gets 100,000 expired doses of a medicine they don’t even need if they could use it and then they have to pay to dispose of it while the company saves that fee and gets a tax write off

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

no obviously not that’s not how tax deductions work

similarly to how i’m against corporations being able to donate to politicians, i’d be against corporations being able to donate in such a way that they could influence the school syllabus even if it literally cost them more than the recipient got

• Vespair@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Apparently the title is the one originally given by the artist