A lot of progressive leaning regions are actively trying to slowly legislate cars out of existence, see the camera system in the UK that’s being sttacked by the so called “blade runners”.

Fact is cars are real freedom, and the next time the government declares a pandemic and determines that public transit is too dangerous, a car is your only movement option for going outside of bike range.

the gubbermint is coming to steal our cars so we have to live in their bicycle dystopia brainworms.

• Dirt_Owl [comrade/them, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Cars are so free. I love freely driving down a predetermined path set by a road that is jammed every morning by other people freely driving the same free path as me to our free job that most of us freely hate. I’m so fucking free.

• Grownbravy [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I spent 5 hours swapping an alternator, tell me more about this freedom with my cut up arms and bruised knuckles just so i can keep this rolling monument to debt together.

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m so scared for these people when the lights go out and they can’t get to a gas station. Suddenly their only means of freedom is a lawn ornament and they’ll be trapped.

• Egon [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

A lot of those people aren’t ever travelling more than 5 miles. A cargo-bike with some electrical aid makes biking accesible for most anyone.
    If you are disabled driving isn’t really an option in most cases.
    Most of the things that make bikes unacessible is inadequate infrastructure and an over-reliance on cars. Kids can’t drive cars, they can ride bikes. If you have traffic that is safe enough for kids to bike on their own, then you have suddenly freed up their parents from having to transport them. The world is now also accesible to children.
    It is easier for a walking-impaired person to cross a bike lane than a road. Bike-centric infrastructure is also more accesible for those that cannot ride bikes.
    Bike-centric infrastructure requires not just bike paths, but a placement of daily needs within about 15 minutes radius. This placement again means that it is more accesible for the physically impaired - especially when combined with public transport.
    Cars are inacessible.
    Read Invisible women. Read the Vienna manual for Gender Mainstreaming. Read Making Mobilities Matter.

• MaoTheLawn [any, any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Lol, he’s talking about the ULEZ probably. The mayors have put up cameras to make Ultra Low Emissions Zones because the air quality in London (and other major cities) is giving people cancer and asthma. If you have a car that isn’t within the regulations you had an option to trade it in with government assistance of like £2000. Some people got fucked over a bit because there was a big push for diesel a few years ago, and now they’re not within regulation. That’s the minority though.

The cameras are dishing out big fines so far. One guy staged a failed hunger strike against the cameras, while other people are cutting the cameras down and then posting it on social media, only to be caught immediately as a result. Britain’s greatest minds.

• MaoTheLawn [any, any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah, it’s fairly solid. Right wing newspapers are driving up a total huff about it to pretty good effect, so now it’s up to each mayor to keep Labour in the mayor position in spite of the shitstorm the tabloids are pumping out about children with cancer needing cars to get to hospital.

There’s also other problems like how some suburbs aren’t that well connected by public transport, but also, just sell your fucking car? The government is literally giving you 2 grand to sell your car, and the prices of lots of these non compliant cars actually havent gone down that much because buyers in the countryside are ready to snap them up. Compliant car prices have gone up some, but I think this is a symptom of a larger problem.

The government needs to add more means tested benefits. Same shit as in lockdown - rich people got the same as poor people when really poor people needed more and rich people needed less. Why should David Beckham get 2 grand toward a new car, leaving a struggling family having to break the bank to upgrade to a compliant car.

• WittyProfileName2 [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

see the camera system in the UK that’s being attacked by the so called “blade runners”.

The neonazi group that referred to the protest where they were destroying speed cameras as “the night of long knives”?

Probably not the group to bring up when you want to harp on about “real freedoms”.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Fact is

Redditbrains and their “if I feel about strongly it is immutable scientific fact” takes.

cars are real freedom

The freedom to be shackled to payments, insurance, repairs, fuel, and entire civilizations built around humoring “cars are real freedom” lead-brains.