It runs at 30fps on all the lowest settings on a 2070 with 64gb ram and an i9-12900K.

It is quite possibly the worst performing game I have ever seen. It’s a piece of crap.

Glad I didn’t pay for this shit. And I will not. 🏴‍☠️ The writing and worldbuilding is probably AI and gutter tier liberal political takes anyway.

I am absolutely stunned by just how badly this thing runs like omfg I run Elden Ring at 120fps at the same resolution. What the fuck is wrong at Bethesda? I’m so mad about this I just played Armoured Core at a rock solid 144fps and it is so jarring to go from that to this absolutely horrific performance.

• FourteenEyes [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Everything I’m hearing about this game is exactly what I expected from it. Bland, soulless, empty, buggy as hell, terrible writing, etc.

I can’t even enjoy being smug anymore, though. I don’t like being smug now. It feels bad.

• Frank [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same. I stopped talking about it with my friends because I was incredulous they’d decided to make a new IP, incredulous they’d picked something so bland I’ve been calling it “Corporate Memphis in Space”, and incredulous that basedon what I’m seeing on discord it’s exactly what I thought it would be - Empty, colorless, no soul or substance at all. Space is just a bunch of loading screens as you go from one barren grey planet with one point of interest to another barren grey planet with one point of interest. You don’t really fly your ship at all, except to point it’s nose at badguy ships while you hold down the fire button.

I wasn’t expecting full of Elite Dangerous, but I was expecting you to actually be able to fly and land the space ship somehow.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Wait, you don’t even fly the ship? So it’s more like Outer Worlds but with procedurally generated planet dungeons? Jesus.

ALSO: I want to point out that you can totally do space race aesthetics and have it look amazing, because Prey did it back in 2017

• Elohim@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Just gonna point out that Prey was going for a very, very different aesthetic than Starfield. Prey is Art Deco, a style popular in the 1910’s-1930’s not “space race.” Starfield is definitely going for a more “NASA-punk” aesthetic.

Whether it achieves that well, I can’t say, I only played like an hour and a half before I got bored and felt no desire to go back. I like the space suit designs though—chunky tech is great.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

The concept artists of Prey explicitly described it as Neo Deco, a revival of the Art Deco style. But again, that’s only the front end of the station. The nuts and bolts stuff, the GUTS and the Psychotronics laboratory, etc. all have that bulky 1960s/1970s NASA tech look to them, with a hefty dose of Soviet satellite/rocket aesthetics to boot. Point is, everything looks functional but is also layered with style and design that tells a story. Starfield just looks uninspired.

• abc [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

oh cool there’s a reliable source on the seas for it already?

smuglord Bethesda, you fools why would I pay $69.99 for Fallout 4 in space when I can get it for free 24 hours after it releases. I will set my 1060 on fire but I will do it at no upfront cost

• drhead [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My husband is playing it on a 3090 and whatever the 9th-generation i7 unlocked is, with the highest settings and FSR enabled, running on 1080p. 45fps in cities which is brutal. 70-80 in typical areas. Strangely, he just tried it on the lowest settings and experienced no change in FPS, and furthermore the CPU is at 100% (good on them for multithreading!), that suggests it’s likely a CPU issue. Weird then that it’s running so poorly on a 12th-gen i9, that should be ripping through it.

• CheezyWeezle@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Definitely a CPU issue you have there, my i9-12900k and 3080ti are running high-ultra settings at 4k with a solid 60fps in New Atlantis. Checking Task Manager shows 100% GPU usage but only 40-60% CPU usage.

• Awoo [she/her]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My CPU isn’t anywhere near 100% it’s the GPU getting toasted to 100%.

Oddly enough power draw is only at 60% of the total that the GPU can draw, this leads me to believe that the usage is not accurate. I’ve seen higher power draw.

• CheezyWeezle@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Usage % is kind of a misnomer, as it is specifying the amount of processor cycles are being used, rather than how much of the silicone in the hardware is being used. You can have a really inefficient and heavy operation that uses a tiny part of the hardware, but eats up every processor cycle, and have 100% usage with barely any thermal output or power draw. For example, writing a small script that reorganizes an extremely long list of items can use every processor cycle and bring the system to 100% usage, but it is only operating a small portion of algorithms on the processor and not actually using a lot of the hardware. So that 100% usage is likely accurate.

This basically means that the game is rather unoptimized, or at least using heavy technologies that don’t use all the hardware but take a lot of time/effort to do.

• UltraGreen [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I know it sucks for some people, but this is definitely an AMD optimized game. And in the time I’ve spent playing it, other than some funny glitches and some lighting issues, it’s ran smooth on my all AMD system.

I was really surprised. I’m used to trying to play a game, only to read on a steam forum that it doesn’t play nice with AMD and there is no fix.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“NASApunk” as a proposed big faddish next new aesthetic sounds bleak to me, not least of all because of how much of that has already been appropriated by melon-musk cultists as it is.

In a way I kind of hope Starfield is only as popular as it deserves to be, flaws and all, and doesn’t cause ten years of imitations.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I kinda don’t mind the aesthetic. It’s better than all things being awooga and will be hard for the awooga people to mod without completely and totally breaking the aesthetic. The effort that will be necessary for clothing mods in this game is going to be very high because there’s pipes and shit hanging off them in all directions. It’s not an easy art style to mod for.

I actually think that’s partly why it won’t catch on. It’s a hard aesthetic to do and everything in the industry is about streamlining your asset creation. That and doing it in an optimised way is just not possible, and I don’t think any other companies like putting out things that perform this poorly.

The factions seem uninspired right now and after a few hours I have absolutely zero emotional investment in literally anything at all. It’s a run, kill, loot, gameplay loop with so far absolutely no emotionally interesting anything, the space stuff only brings to the table disjointed fast travel and terrible space fighting. Oh and since it’s not Fallout the one thing that makes up for Bethesda’s terrible shooting the VATS system isn’t here, so you just have Bethesda’s terrible shooting with no redeeming features.

If it can’t emotionally invest the player in any of its universe building then it’s just going to leave people feeling like the aesthetic itself is the problem, when in reality the problem is most likely that Bethesda has no creative talent left at all and can only rehash rather than create anything new.

I can’t stress enough how disjointed it feels travelling between planet ground, your ship interior(loading screen), your ship seat, takeoff loading screen, go into menu, find place you want to go, fast travel (loading screen) to place, watch cut scene of your ship flying from A to B, look at planet you’re now orbiting, go into menu, select planet, select landing site, watch cut scene of you landing(loading screen), get out of chair, walk to door of ship, loading screen, get on ground of new planet.

All of this should be seamless by now it’s SOOOOO disjointed and feels really bad.

Oh I also think my computer would probably run Star Citizen with more frames. So there’s that too. Not that I want to but it’s a serious mark against it.

• Grebgreb [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh and since it’s not Fallout the one thing that makes up for Bethesda’s terrible shooting the VATS system isn’t here, so you just have Bethesda’s terrible shooting with no redeeming features.

lol that sounds amazingly awful

• Mardoniush [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Yeah, agreed. That said as annoyed as I am with constant horniness I’d have liked at least some feminine clothes.

I’ve been to every shop in every major city and I’ve found 1 dress and two shapeless tunics out of close to 100 variants.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah, agreed. That said as annoyed as I am with constant horniness I’d have liked at least some feminine clothes.

The entire industry has overcompensated for sexualisation by removing ALL femininity from games and it fucking sucks. It’s relatively nice that feminists have successfully influenced large parts of the industry but they went much too far the other way.

• iridaniotter [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The whole NASApunk thing is so funny. First off, it’s the epitome of the modern corporate cyberpunk trend. So we have this trend of adding -punk to aesthetic styles without even thinking about punk. Then we have the trend of soulless companies unironically trying to produce cyberpunk content. So Bethesda is trying to create its own punk style that has zero punk. Very bizarre but also very expected.

So let’s ignore this ridiculous “NASApunk” misnomer and just look at it as NASA aesthetics in science fiction. Well, we already have that in the form of retrofuturistic art from the 60s to 80s - oftentimes commissioned or made by NASA. If you want something to look like NASA, you paint it white with some black detailing. That is the classic NASA aesthetic. If you’re borrowing from this period of NASA-inspired futurism, then your world should have rotating space habitats, moon bases, mass drivers, big spaceplanes, space-based solar, and obviously ROCKETS!! But from what I’ve seen so far, Starfield takes very little from these aesthetics. “NASApunk” is just bulky spacesuits and spaceships that aren’t pristine transposed onto a generic scifi world where capitalism exists in the 24th century, there’s dogfighting in outer space, and FTL and artificial gravity is trivial.

• Frank [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

If you want to see SpacePunk that actually has some Punk in it check out the Indy warships in the 15 minute long FMV intro to 1998s Independence War/I-War

One of my favorite pieces of short-for Sci Fi even 25 years later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij0NlMVd4Mw

This is the best quality I could find. It’s an old game.

It’s so fucking cool, though. It’s a sim. Your ship, and every other ship because there’s only two classes of warship iirc, all behave the same way. So you have to be a mean tricky SOB to win fights. You’ve got two particle cannons, missiles, and shields. You’ve got scanners. And you’ve got your repair teams. And that’s it. That’s your tool kit. Figure it out. Everything that happens in the FMV, including iirc handling FTL travel yourself, happens in game.

And the shape of the ships isn’t arbitrary. Their shields and power systems are generated by a large ring, so the destroyers are flat pancakes with two wings to act as spars for the weapons, a huge cowling for shaping the engine exhaust, and a tiny command pod nailed to the front. They came up with a reason behind their spaceships so there’s some in world justification for the cool ship. And they’re really just an iconic look, very distinctive with their flat, aggressive profile and huge flaring engine cowling.

Did I mention it has Newtonian physics? IT HAS NEWTONIAN PHYSICS! Yeah, it’s simplified, but you can fly in one direction, flip your nose around, and shoot at ships following you, or whatever other silly Newtonian Drift stuff you want to do.